LIST SORTED BY COUNTY [return to MICH databases]
List sorted by Place Name Return to Introduction County map of Michigan
[opens new window]
Mines: Locating old mine-sites can be a problem, but some early botanists did collect at such locations. (Some mining operations imported physicians from New England, and some of these—as was common in that day—collected plants. James Watson Robbins is perhaps the most prolific of the physicians who collected in the “Copper Country” [see Voss 1978, p. 77].) Many old mine locations are indicated to this day on county maps, sometimes as names of associated settlements (or ghost towns). The locations of some early copper mines listed here are taken from a “Tabular Statement of the Mines in the Lake Superior Land District” (in Foster & Whitney 1850, pp. 146–151); not all sites were verified.
A   B   C   D   E   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   S   T   V   W   [Wisconsin]   [Canada]

A

 

 

Alcona County

Alger’s Camp

a “short distance west from Mud Lake” (q.v.) [= Barton City] (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 30).

Alcona County

Mud Lake

renamed Barton City in 1912 (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 29).

Alcona County

Potts’ Farm

N½ NW¼ sec. 2 and NE¼ NE¼ sec. 3, T26N, R5E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p.27).

Alger or Keweenaw County

Grand Marais

harbor (so known since 1660) and village in Alger Co.; a less well-known harbor E of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw Co.). [There is also a third Grand Marais on Lake Superior, in Cook Co., northeasternmost Minnesota.]

Alger County

Laughing [White] Fish River

(Gillman in 1867; similarly, Laughing Fish Pt.).

Alger County

Peter White’s Camp

800 acres on Whitefish Lake, ca. 4 miles S of Deerton. CKD collected here in 1916; cf. R. D.Williams, 1905, The Honorable Peter White, pp. 201 and 203). [The property is now included in the 1700-acre Laughing Whitefish Lake Preserve of The Nature Conservancy, presented in 1993 by relatives of Peter White (an early founder of Marquette) and of George Shiras III (White’s son-in-law) (cf. Mich. Conservancy News, Spring 1993.]

Alger County

Shelter Bay

west of Au Train Bay (Lewis Foote in 1867).

Alger County

Traine Island

Au Train I. (Gillman in 1867; similarly, “Traine Bay”—both on Lake Superior west of Munising and Grand Island).

Alger County

Upper Peninsula Experiment Station (Chatham)

SE¼ sec. 28, T46N, R21W.

Allegan County

Glenn Pier

W of Glenn, NW¼ sec. 31, Ganges Tp.(C. H. Kauffman in 1910 and associated by him with South Haven; cf. Mich. Manual maps).

Allegan/Barry County

Gun Lake

less than 3% of the area of this lake is in Allegan Co.; the rest is in Barry Co., including the large peninsula in the lake, where some collections have specifically been made. However, the Post Office of the same name (closed in 1905) is listed as in Allegan Co., presumably because the mail came via Shelbyville in that county. “Gun Lake” collections almost certainly are from Barry Co.—where also Yankee Springs State Park now has frontage on the lake.

Allegan/Ottawa County

Holland

32nd St. is the county line: higher numbers are in Allegan Co., lower numbers in Ottawa Co.

Allegan County

Pier Cove

lumber port in sec. 5, T2N, R16W (cf. 1901 soils map; mail was supplied through the Ganges P.O. a mile to the SE).

Allegan County

Shelbyville

(OAF in 1920 and 1923; his notes and original labels say Kalamazoo Co.—presumably a carry-over from Galesburg, where he was immediately before—but his 1943 manuscript says Allegan Co.)

Alpena County

Whitefish Point

Besides the well known site on Lake Superior (Chippewa Co.), note that there is another Whitefish Point on the W side of Prentiss Bay in Mackinac Co., just E of Les Cheneaux (Ehlers & Erlanson in 1924; Voss in 1983). There is also a Whitefish Point across Thunder Bay, E of Alpena, on Whitefish Bay (Alpena Co.).

Alpena County

Rockport

sec. 6, T32N, R9E (cf. letter in Mich. History 65(5): 4, Sept.–Oct. 1981).

Antrim/Grand Traverse County

Traverse Bay

Mary Clark was here in 1869 at Elk Rapids [Antrim Co.] on Grand Traverse Bay (cf. her label for Utricularia cornuta); she was also at Traverse City [Grand Traverse Co.] in 1869. CFW collected at the Bay in 1898, often with reference to Traverse City or the Peninsula in the Bay, so presumably his specimens are to be referred to Grand Traverse Co. and not to Leelanau or Antrim counties, which also border the Bay. [There is also a Grand (or “Big”) Traverse Bay on the Keweenaw/Houghton Co. line. Cf. also Little Traverse Bay, above.]

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

B

 

 

Barry/Allegan County

Gun Lake

less than 3% of the area of this lake is in Allegan Co.; the rest is in Barry Co., including the large peninsula in the lake, where some collections have specifically been made. However, the Post Office of the same name (closed in 1905) is listed as in Allegan Co., presumably because the mail came via Shelbyville in that county. “Gun Lake” collections almost certainly are from Barry Co.—where also Yankee Springs State Park now has frontage on the lake.

Bay County

Henry’s Woods

in Bay City (fide annotation in unknown hand on 1894 G. M. Bradford specimen of Uvularia grandiflora at MSC).

Bay County

Oak Grove

presumably sec. 8, T14N, R6E (G. M. Bradford in 1893 and 1901).

Bay/Tuscola County

Quanicassee

R. R. Dreisbach collected here (as “Quanticasse”) May 22, 1927, and Sept. 6, 1931. He labeled all his specimens as from Bay Co.; however, in his field notes he corrected nos. 5491–5499 and 7598–7602 to Tuscola Co. He left 5500–5504 and 7603–7605 as Bay Co. This distinction is also borne out by his exchange records. So it seems clear that he became aware of the proximity of the county line to this Tuscola Co. community. (Nos. 6192–6208, Aug. 26, 1928, are all unchanged as recorded, for Tuscola Co.)

Benzie County

Central House

in Inland Tp. (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 64, note 89).

Berrien County

Birchwood

just SW of Warren Dunes (CKD collected here in 1917).

Berrien County

Fernwood

private nature center on E side of St. Joseph River in sec. 13, T7S, R18W.

Berrien County

Galien River

river is entirely in the county.

Berrien County

Greenwood Park

sec. 21, Hagar Tp.

Berrien County

Pennnellwood

S of Berrien Springs.

Berrien County

Pottawatomie Lake

in New Buffalo.

Berrien County

Pottawatomie Park

sec. 21, Hagar Tp. (CKD in 1917).

Berrien County

St. Joseph

Caution! Note that this city in Berrien Co. is 35 and more miles from St. Joseph Co.—but some 1837 First Survey labels confuse the issue by omitting “Co.” (cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 243).

Branch County

Mason

an old name (also Masonville) for Coldwater (First Survey; cf. McVaugh 1970, pp. 242–243). [Do not confuse with city of Mason, county seat of Ingham Co.—nor with Mason Co. or any of the three or more other Masons in Michigan, all presumably named for the state’s first governor, Stevens T. Mason.]

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

C

 

 

Calhoun County

Brandt Woods

in sec. 7–8, T2S, R4W (Sheridan Tp.), N of Winnipeg Lake.

Calhoun County

Brigham Lake

in the Ott Preserve (q.v.); on county maps as Blackley Lake.

Calhoun County

Goguac Lake

SW of Battle Creek (E. L. Greene in 1902, ND-G).

Calhoun County

Newburg Dam

on N Branch, Kalamazoo River, 0.5 miles W of Jackson Co. line.

Calhoun County

Ott Preserve

Harvey N. Ott Preserve, 315-acre natural area in secs. 3, 4, 9, and 10, T2S, R7W (Emmett Tp.). Established in 1926 as the Battle Creek College Biological Preserve; when that college closed, Albion College obtained the tract and dedicated it as the Ott Preserve; sold in 1977 by Albion to Calhoun County to be administered through the Parks Commission (Crispin 1980; pers. comm., W. J. Gilbert).

Calhoun County

Whitehouse Nature Center

125 acres on E Branch of the Kalamazoo River, ca. one quarter mile SE of the main campus of Albion College, which owns and administers it.

Cass County

Cable Lake

sec. 5, T5S, R16W [for no apparent reason the name has been dropped on some recent county maps].

Cass County

Christianna Lake

(J. A. Nieuwland in 1924 etc.).

Cass County

Edwards Prairie

near Edwardsburgh (First Survey, Aug. 1838; cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 242).

Cass County

Hemlock Island

in Magician Lake (cf. H. S. Pepoon’s labels).

Cass/Van Buren County

Magician Beach

Most H. S. Pepoon labels cite Van Buren Co., but a map in his unpublished flora of Magician Lake clearly shows Magician Beach in both counties.

Charlevoix County

Camp 7

4.5 miles NW of Vanderbilt [which is in Otsego Co.] (EAB in 1912).

Charlevoix County

Camp 8

NW¼ sec. 19, T33N, R4W (EAB in 1912; cf. his labels for Abies balsamea and Hackelia virginiana).

Charlevoix County

Eagle Isle

= Old Island in Round Lake, Charlevoix harbor (cf. letter from William Ratigan to EGV, Nov. 8, 1968). (J. A. Drushel et al. in 1914 and 1915, MO). [N.B.: there is also an Eagle Island in Walloon Lake.]

Charlevoix County

Lake Louise

= Thumb Lake, in Hudson Tp.

Charlevoix County

Overlook Farm

SW¼ sec. 22, Eveline Tp. (Eisendrath in 1959–1970).

Charlevoix County

Pine Lake

= Lake Charlevoix.

Cheboygan County

Alverno

located on the Black River, not the Cheboygan R. as stated by Romig.

Cheboygan County

Bessey Creek

= Lancaster Creek of maps, flowing into the NW part of Douglas Lake (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Blanchard Lake (or “Bog”)

= Mud Lake of maps in secs. 21 and 28, T38N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Bryant’s Bog

very near Douglas Lake in sec. 29, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Davis, Camp

on S shore of South Fishtail Bay, Douglas Lake [Univ. of Michigan engineering camp established in 1909 and named for J. B. Davis in 1916; in 1929 the engineers (surveyors) moved to Wyoming and the Biological Station, established in 1909 immediately east of Camp Davis, moved to the site of the latter.]

Cheboygan County

Dutton’s

Topinabee (M. Freeman in 1888, cf. her label for Monotropa uniflora).

Cheboygan County

East Lake

= the eastern of Twin Lakes of maps, in sec. 7, T38N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

East Point

E side of Douglas Lake at beginning of North Fishtail Bay (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Gates Bog

sec. 22, T37N R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Gleason’s Bog

just E of Bryant’s Bog (q.v.) (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Gorge

ravine at source of Carp Creek in sec. 33, R37N R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Grapevine Pt.

W of South Fishtail Bay in Douglas Lake, sec. 28, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Green Star Trail

crosses secs. 34 and 35, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Hermit’s

in Reese’s Bog (q.v.), sec. 5, T36N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Hogback Rd.

on the high ground above N end of Reese’s Bog (q.v.) (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Hoop Lake

near center N edge sec. 2, T36N, R1E; a bog near (but not connected with) the marl-forming chain of Twin Lakes (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Ingleside

resort area on NW side of Douglas Lake, near Bessey Creek (q.v.) in sec. 17, T37N R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Livingston Bog

in sec. 2, T36N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan/Emmet County

Mackinaw City

Although usually listed as being in Cheboygan Co. (where the Post Office and most of the business district are), by far the greater part of the area of the village has long been in Emmet Co. (the south end of the Mackinac Bridge now marking the division point). [Note that this name has never applied to Mackinac Island (Mackinac Co.), although vague terms like “Mackinaw” and “Michilimackinac” often referred in times past to the whole general area.]

Cheboygan County

Malony (Malone) Lake

sec. 11, T38N, R3W.

Cheboygan County

Marl Bay

northwest bay of Douglas Lake (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Mud Lake

the most often cited (UMBS) Mud Lake in Cheboygan Co. is mostly in sec. 7, T37N, R2W (Inverness Tp.); much of the bog is now in the Wendy O’Neil Preserve of the Little Traverse Conservancy. Some other of the county’s Mud Lakes have been “renamed” by UMBS people (cf. Blanchard Lake above).

Cheboygan County

Nelson Lake

on line between secs. 15 and 22, T38N, R3W; a county road bisects the [drying or intermittent] lake, which shows on older county maps as Nolten Lake, as does a different lake (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Nichols’ Bog

a farm pond in sec. 2, T36N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Nigger Creek

now renamed as the less offensive “Mullett Creek,” flowing into Mullett Lake ca. 2 miles NE of Topinabee (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Nolten Lake

on older maps = Nelson Lake (see above); both older and later maps (incl. USGS Mullett Lake quad) show a lake of this name in sec. 18, T38N R3W and this is also known as Nolten Fen (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Penny Lake

NE¼ sec. 15, T38N R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Pine Pt.

on Douglas Lake near middle of its east side (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Reese’s Bog (Swamp)

cedar swamp at the north end of Burt Lake (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Sedge Pt.

N shore of Douglas Lake just W of North Fishtail Bay (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Smith’s Bog

S of Green Star Trail in sec. 35, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Cheboygan County

Tower

village (est. 1899) and dam site on the Upper Black River in T34N, R1E. [A town in St. Louis Co., Minnesota, bears the same name and is the site for an 1889 EJH collection of Caltha natans, which has sometimes been erroneously (and anachronistically) attributed to Michigan because of misreading a handwritten label.]

Cheboygan County

Trowbridge

(CFW July 13, 1890; cf. his label for Carex bebbii). [N.B.: on July 12 CFW collected near Bay View in Emmet Co.; but on July 11 he collected in Ingham Co.—where there was another Trowbridge at the junction of the Pere Marquette and Grand Trunk railroads south of East Lansing (cf. Foster 1942, p. 513).]

Cheboygan County

Vestal’s Bog

S of Livingston Bog in sec. 35, T37N, R3W (UMBS, cf. map in Nelson 1956).

Cheboygan County

Wolff’s Bog

secs. 14 and 15, T37N R3W (UMBS).

Chippewa County

Coalpit Hill

Sault Ste. Marie [Zina Pitcher collected Adenocaulon bicolor here June 24, 1826, but his label [MICH] does not indicate whether it was from the U.S. or the Canadian side. R. D. Williams in 1905, The Honorable Peter White, p. 95 in chapter on “Sault Ste. Marie before the Canal,” describing an 1847 incident, implied the U.S. side and referred to “outside of the Sault on Coalpit hill” where a traveler from Mackinaw to the Sault waited en route to James Schoolcraft’s store in the fort. Bernard Arbic (pers. comm., 1995) notes that a letter from John Johnston in 1879 refers to a homestead “about three miles from the Sault & a mile and a quarter from the river on Coal Pit Hill, commanding the view of both channels ..”; Dr. Arbic also notes that some old property deeds suggest that the site was south of the present campus of Lake Superior State University, on the east side of the Michigan Meridian.]

Chippewa County

Cordell

1 mile W of Spur 459 (q.v.).

Chippewa County

Sailors Encampment

near the S end of Neebish Island, in the St. Mary’s River (not the entire island as indicated by Romig). (E. T. & S. A. Harper collected here in 1897 and 1898.)

Chippewa County

Spur 447

on Soo Line RR. ca. 2.5 miles W of Trout Lake.

Chippewa County

Spur 459

on Soo Line RR ca. 9 miles E of Trout Lake. [According to “Tales & Trails of Tro-La-Oz-Ken” (a 1976 local history of the Trout Lake area), p. 85, Spur 459 was once a community of 100 persons, had a P.O. 1910–1915, and was “one mile south of Ozark”—that location apparently erroneous (it would better locate Kenneth).]

Clare County

Neithercut Woodland

sec. 17, T17N, R5W (Surrey Tp.) (an outdoor education tract of Central Michigan University).

Clinton County

Chandler’s Marsh

over 3000 acres once owned by Zachariah Chandler, U.S. Senator from Michigan (bought by him from the Agricultural College, fide Ceasar 1978 p. 27–28); the marsh mostly in Clinton Co., incl. all portions near the RR (cf. soils map), but the S part does extend into Ingham Co. (cf. 1933 soils map). Chandler Farm was “3 miles N of M.A.C.” [Mich. Agric. College] (cf. CFW 1901 label for Senecio pauperculus; cf. also Mich. History 65(3): 10, May–June 1981, and esp. 82(6): 52–53, Nov.–Dec. 1998).

Crawford County

Frazer’s (or Fraser’s)

SW¼ NW¼ sec. 26, T27N, R1W, on North Branch of the Au Sable River (Voss & Crow 1976, p. 40); sometimes erroneously attributed to Oscoda Co. (CFW et al. in 1888).

Crawford County

Portage Lake

former name of 1300-acre Lake Margrethe west of Grayling (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, pp. 45–47). [There are still about a dozen Portage Lakes altogether in Michigan.]

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

D

 

 

Delta County

Point Detour

at tip of Garden Peninsula (Lewis Foote on Sept. 22, 1863, was at this place [“N. W. shore L. Michigan” on his label for Calamintha arkansana]—not the eastern tip of the Upper Peninsula mainland in Chippewa Co.

Delta County

St. Martin Island

in Lake Michigan S of Garden Peninsula, just before the Wisconsin line. (For history of collecting, cf. Judziewicz, Mich. Bot. 40: 139–140. 2002 [“2001”]). [Not to be confused with the St. Martin Island in St. Martin Bay north of Mackinac Island, in Mackinac Co.]

Dickinson County

Camp 9

near Waucedah (CAD in 1905).

Dickinson County?

Mud Lake

Of over 300 “Mud Lakes” in Michigan, there appear to be none “25 miles southeast of Ishpeming” (F. P. Metcalf, Sept. 1922), which would be in Alger Co.; however, there are several in northeastern Dickinson Co., ± SSW of Ishpeming, and probably where the collector was (cf. his labels for Andromeda glaucophylla and Ledum groenlandicum, A).

Dickinson County

Twin Falls

on Menominee River, sec. 7, T40N, R30W and sec. 12, R31W (CAD in 1905; cf. p. 226 in his report on peat in Rep. Geol. Surv. Mich. for 1906).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

E

 

 

Emmet County

Kruzel’s Bog

NW¼ sec. 25, T35N, R5W (UMBS; now the Orchis Fen Preserve of Little Traverse Conservancy).

Emmet/Cheboygan County

Mackinaw City

Although usually listed as being in Cheboygan Co. (where the Post Office and most of the business district are), by far the greater part of the area of the village has long been in Emmet Co. (the south end of the Mackinac Bridge now marking the division point). [Note that this name has never applied to Mackinac Island (Mackinac Co.), although vague terms like “Mackinaw” and “Michilimackinac” often referred in times past to the whole general area.]

Emmet County

Paige (Page)

on Little Traverse Bay (near S edge sec. 16, T35N, R5W) along the RR between Menonaqua Beach and Ramona Park. (cf. 1902 plat map); CWF often collected here 1899–1923.

Emmet County

Rosedale

E edge of Petoskey, at Bay View (cf. 1902 plat map—and current street sign). [Note that there was also a Rosedale in Chippewa Co., from which I have seen no collections.]

Emmet County

Wawatam Beach

erroneously assigned to Cheboygan Co. by Romig but is entirely west of the county line in the village of Mackinaw City (q.v.).

Emmet County

West Lake

= Dow Lake = western of the Twin Lakes, in sec. 12, T38N, R4W (Carp Lake Tp.—not Wawatam Tp. as indicated by Nelson) (UMBS).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

G

 

 

Genesee County

Burton

presumably Burton Tp. (D. Clarke in 1866).

Genesee County

Long Lake

= Lake Fenton (cf. Soil Survey publ. in 1914).

Gladwin County

Pratt Lake

T19N, R2W. Of the four lakes bearing this name, in as many counties, the one visited by F. Comte in Aug. 1956 (specimens at MO) must have been the Gladwin Co. one, for the species collected would not have all occurred near any of the other Pratt Lakes.]

Gogebic County

Black River

this is the Black River of Henry Gillman in 1868, flowing into Lake Superior west of the Presque Isle River and Porcupine Mts. State Park (cf. Peters in Mich. Academician 18: 426. 1986). [There are several other Black Rivers in Michigan, e.g., in Alcona, Allegan, Muskegon (C. D. McLouth coll.), Ottawa (see below), St. Clair (C. K. Dodge coll.), Sanilac, and Van Buren counties. The Black River in Cheboygan Co. flows from Black Lake into the Cheboygan River near its mouth, but the name is also carelessly applied to the Upper Black River, which arises in Otsego Co. and flows through small portions of Montmorency and Presque Isle counties before finally entering Black Lake in Cheboygan Co.]

Gogebic County

8-mile Creek

west side of Gogebic Lake (EAB in 1919); (cf. label for Juncus dudleyi).

Gogebic County

Killarney Point

on Tenderfoot Lake, not in Wisconsin as labeled by P. E. Hebert (fide B. Hellenthal).

Gogebic County?

Mamie Lake

T44N, R41W, on Wisconsin border. [HTD wrote (Rep. Mich. Acad. 22: 148. 1921) that his (and EAB’s) Gogebic County headquarters in 1919 were “at Bent’s camp on the south side of Mamie Lake and less than a mile from the Wisconsin line.” The lake was said to cover “nearly a square mile.” The location for their 1920 field work was likewise “in the vicinity of Bent’s Camp in the southeastern part of the county.” (Pap. Mich. Acad. 1: 74. 1923). Dr. Darlington confirmed in conversation with me that the camp was on the south side of Mamie Lake. Yet, Michigan maps show Mamie lake almost entirely in Wisconsin (and Wisconsin maps concur), with barely the northern tip extending into Michigan. Bent’s Resort is shown at the S end of Mamie lake, in Wisconsin well south of the Michigan line (not north of the state line), in a map [?1932] of Gogebic County, drawn by George W. Koronski, Gogebic County Engineer; however, on that map a narrow strait of Mamie Lake is shown north into Michigan. How far from “Bent’s Camp” HTD and EAB collected would determine the county (Gogebic in Michigan or Vilas in Wisconsin). And of course “Mamie Lake” may once have included what later maps separately identify as East Bay Lake (entirely in Michigan) and West Bay Lake (partly in Michigan), these three areas separated from each other by more or less narrow straits, with East Bay even included in West Bay Lake in a 1917 plat map.]

Gogebic County?

Porky Point

location unknown, but presumably not far from Thousand Island Lake (EAB, July 3, 1920; HTD could recall no location when I queried him).

Grand Traverse County

Bassett’s Island

on NE side of Marion (Ford) Island (CFW in 1898).

Grand Traverse County

Edgewood

(CFW in 1898; just E of Traverse City).

Grand Traverse County

Paradise

community near the Kingsley RR station and later incorporated into the village of Kingsley, in Paradise Tp. (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 61). [Quite different from the village of Paradise on Whitefish Bay in Chippewa Co.]

Grand Traverse/Antrim County

Traverse Bay

Mary Clark was here in 1869 at Elk Rapids [Antrim Co.] on Grand Traverse Bay (cf. her label for Utricularia cornuta); she was also at Traverse City [Grand Traverse Co.] in 1869. CFW collected at the Bay in 1898, often with reference to Traverse City or the Peninsula in the Bay, so presumably his specimens are to be referred to Grand Traverse Co. and not to Leelanau or Antrim counties, which also border the Bay. [There is also a Grand (or “Big”) Traverse Bay on the Keweenaw/Houghton Co. line. Cf. also Little Traverse Bay, above.]

Gratiot County

Conservation Park

S of Alma in sec. 4, T11N, R3W.s

Gratiot County

Lumberjacks Park

W of Alma on Pine River, in SE¼ sec. 18, T12N, R4W.

Gratiot County

Sullivan’s Woods

near Alma, W½ sec. 32, T12N R3W.

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

H

 

 

Hillsdale County

Skelton’s bog

W side of Montgomery (fide F. W. Case in conversation 1989).

Houghton County

Arethusa Bog

0.5 mile N of Laurium (cf. FJH label for Carex flava). [Note that S. H. Camp collected 1891–1893 at an Arethusa Swamp “near Clark’s Lake” in Jackson Co.]

Houghton County

Big Traverse Bay

(OAF 1943; cf. also Traverse Bay, below).

Houghton County

Bootjack

sec. 20, T55N, R32W.

Houghton County

C. & H. Stamp Mills

on shore of Torch Lake at Lake Linden (OAF, many collections) (cf. Benedict, Red Metal: The Calumet & Hecla Story, pp. 116 and 188. 1952. [The C. & H. company was long the leading copper producer on Lake Superior. Cf. also Clifton, below.]

Houghton County

Canal

(OAF 1943).

Houghton County

Edgewood

apparently at Lake Linden (OAF 1943; he collected at Edgewood several times in 1941 and 1942).

Houghton County

Entry

= Portage Entry (from Lake Superior to Portage River and Lake), near Jacobsville.

Houghton County

Eureka

near Laurium (FJH in 1922–1926).

Houghton County

Graveraet River

mouth on Lake Superior SW of Salmon Trout River (cf. also Peters in Mich. Hist. Rev. 27(1): 82–85. 1991).

Houghton County

Gregoryville

also Gregory Springs (OAF). Gregory was at the N end of Torch Lake, opposite Lake Linden (cf. old Calumet quad. topo map).

Houghton County

Hazel

probably near Lake Linden (OAF Oct. 7, 1934; attributed to Houghton Co. by OAF in Am. Fern Jour. 27: 12. 1937).

Houghton County

Houghton, Douglass, Falls

ca. 1 mile NW of Lake Linden.

Houghton County

Incline

(a frequent collection site for OAF; “the Lake Linden terminus of the railroad from which the rock cars were switched to the rope-controlled inclined-plane railway leading to the stamp mills and the docks.”—C. Harry Benedict, Red Metal: The Calumet & Hecla Story, p. 116. 1952).

Houghton County

Isle Royale Mine

just south of Houghton [not on Isle Royale, although there was an “Isle Royale and Ohio Mine” there].

Houghton County

Isle Royale Stamp Mill

moved in late 1880s from Houghton [Houghton Co.] to Republic [Marquette Co.] (cf. Mich. History 53: 115. 1969).

Houghton/Keweenaw County

Keweenaw Point

[Most 19th century collectors did not restrict this “Point” to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, as modern maps show it, but included at least the northern portion of Houghton Co. (or even parts of Ontonagon and Baraga counties; cf. Voss, 1978, p. 77). Map in Foster and Whitney 1850 indicates the Point as far S as latitude of Houghton; and an 1832 observation by Lt. Allen (in Mason 1958, p. 178) notes that the “Point” is “often applied to the whole peninsula.”]

Houghton County

Keweenaw Portage

the Portage Lake Ship Canal, completed in 1874, now accommodates small boats crossing the Keweenaw Peninsula via Portage Lake, where the early explorers had to portage their canoes to avoid the long (and dangerous) route around Keweenaw Point; David B. Douglass, Douglass Houghton, and others found such bog species as orchids and pitcherplants along the portage. The north end of the present canal is at the west end of McLain State Park.

Houghton County

Limestone Mt.

T51N, R35W. [Not in Baraga Co., as stated by N. C. Fassett on July 2, 1938, labels.]

Houghton County

Linwood

at Lake Linden (OAF collected here Sept. 19, 1941. [Not to be confused with the much better-known Linwood in Bay Co.]

Houghton County

Little Traverse Bay

on west side of Keweenaw Bay, ca. 3–4 miles S of Keweenaw Co. (OAF July 28, 1939). [Not to be confused with the better known Little Traverse Bay in Emmet Co.]

Houghton County

McCallum’s Creek

E of Torch Lake (OAF 1943).

Houghton County

Montreal

(OAF 1943).

Houghton County

Natural Wall

ravine near Old Colony Mine, which was in sec. 18, T56N, R32W (OAF Aug. 26, 1935).

Houghton County

Osceola Mine

ca. 1 mile N of the village of Osceola, near Laurium—nowhere near Osceola Co. in the Lower Peninsula.

Houghton County

Pewabic Mine

associated with the Quincy Mine (which purchased it in 1891) on the north side of Portage Lake at Hancock.

Houghton County

Quincy Mine

on NE side of Hancock. Quincy Hill here is the classic site for Juncus inflexus in Michigan; cf. Rhodora 43: 633 (1941) and Pap. Mich. Acad. 30: 59 (1945). [Neither should be confused with the village of Quincy in Branch Co., where B. B. Kanouse collected.]

Houghton County

Rabbit Bay

(OAF 1943).

Houghton County

Rice Lake

near eastern border of Keweenaw Co. (OAF).

Houghton County

Salmon Trout River

mouth on Lake Superior near Redridge (Lewis Foote in 1865; cf. also Lt. Allen’s 1832 mention [Mason 1958, p. 179]).

Houghton County

Sawmill Creek

flows into Torch Lake E of Lake Linden (OAF 1943). [There is also a Sawmill Creek in Chippewa Co. just N of Paradise and doubtless are others.]

Houghton County

Silver Mt.

(OAF 1943).

Houghton County

Smelts Incline

(OAF 1943).

Houghton County

Swamp

“The Swamp,” a Chamaedaphne bog 0.5 mile N of Laurium (FJH coll here; cf. letter from him to EGV April 10, 1969).

Houghton County

Trap Rock River

flows into N end of Torch Lake (OAF 1943).

Houghton County

Twin Lakes

(OAF on Aug. 15, 1934; cf. his label for Carex paupercula). [Of course, there are many other Twin Lakes in the state.]

Houghton County

Wheal Kate

SE¼ sec. 18, T54N, R34W, ca. 1 mile S of South Range (cf. 1915 topo map for Houghton quad.).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

I

 

 

Ingham County

Agricultural College

often abbreviated “Agrl. Coll.” and in other ways, including “M. A. C.” It was founded in 1855, became Michigan State College in 1925, and Michigan State University in 1955; the name of the community officially became East Lansing in 1907. Consider also College Woods, College Farm, etc.; and see also entries for Chandler’s Marsh, Michigan State Col., and Towar’s Swamp below.

Ingham County

Glenn Island

in Grand River just S of Grand Trunk RR bridge in Lansing (cf. Foster 1942, p. 492).

Ingham County

Leadley Park

amusement park on N side of Grand River, promoted about 1892 and later named Waverly Park (on E side of Waverly Rd.) (fide an unrelated Mr. Leadley of Lansing, phone Dec. 1961, and cf. Foster 1952, p. 498) (Kedzie in 1893, MSC).

Ingham County

Pine Lake

name changed to Lake Lansing 1929–30. (There are about 30 other Pine Lakes in Michigan. The P.O. at this one, established in 1879, was changed to Haslett in 1890; cf. Ceasar p. 56.)

Ingham County

Reform School

at Lansing, later called the Industrial School for Boys (cf. Wheeler in 1892, Carex lupuliformis).

Ingham County

Towar Swamp

“1.5 miles n. of Agr’l College” (CFW label for Carex tenuiflora; one for Habenaria ciliaris reads “near the Agr’l College”). Towar Gardens is shown on the 1933 soils map in S½ sec. 6, T4N R1W, just N of East Lansing and SE of Chandler Marsh (q.v. above).

Ingham County

Wellman’s Swamp

at the Agricultural College (W. R. Kedzie in 1895; cf. his label for Poa paludigena).

Ionia County

Deer Lick

“2 mi. n.w. of Hubbardston Ionia Co.” (CFW, cf. labels for Scirpus olneyi and Eleocharis parvula).

Ionia County

Hubbardston

note that the village borders on Clinton Co. and specimens may be from that county. Erwin F. Smith’s home was 3.5 miles E of Hubbardston and thus well into Clinton Co. [See also entry for Deer Lick.]

Iron County

Camp 6

1.5 miles N of Mansfield (cf. Rep. Geol. Surv. Mich. for 1906, p. 30 and CAD 1905 label for Cynoglossum boreale).

Iron County

Roth, Camp Filibert

on W side of Golden Lake, sec. 26, T44N, R37W (Univ. of Michigan forestry camp, originally established in 1929 in Alger Co., W of Munising, but moved in June of 1935 to Golden Lake; property sold in the 1990s).

Isabella County

Economou farm

sec. 31, T13N, R5W (cf. labels at ALMA).

Isabella County

Sweeney’s woods

now a subdivision in sec. 6, T14N, R4W (fide G. Starks; some specimens in CMC erroneously locate this woods).

Isabella County

Veit’s woods

a property of Central Michigan University in sec. 21, T14N, R4W (fide G. Starks; some specimens in CMC erroneously locate this woods).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

J

 

 

Jackson County

Bangham Rd. Woods

sec. 3, T2S, R3W (E. A. Stowell in 1956–1960 et al., ALBC)).

Jackson County

Clark Lake

of the 15 Michigan lakes bearing this name, the one in Jackson Co. (Columbia Tp., P.O. as “Clarklake” 1896– ) is the type locality for Betula ×purpusii Schneider; however, Clark Lake in Livingston Co. = the “Mont Lake” (q.v.) of Mary Clark .

Jackson County

Draper School

SW corner sec. 29, Rives Tp. (Camp in 1893; cf. 1926 soils map).

Jackson or Kalamazoo County?

Sand Lake

“8 or 10 miles from the village of Jacksonburgh” [original name for Jackson] (J. Wright in 1838 on label for Eleocharis equisetoides, NY). [There are over 20 other Sand Lakes in Michigan—but Humphrys does not include this one.] On the other hand, McVaugh (1970, p. 243) notes a “Sand Lake” 8 or 10 miles from Kalamazoo mentioned in a letter from John Wright (botanist with the First Survey) to John Torrey; this would accord with “Sandy Lakes” on old maps in the Austin Lake area.

Jackson County

Taylor’s Hill

Waterloo Tp. (cf. CFW 1898 label, GH, for Carex bicknellii).

Jackson County

Watkins Station

(A. B. Lyons in 1874; CFW in 1892, cf. his labels for Panicum flexile and Allium cernuum; cf. also Romig).

Jackson County

Wolf Lake

at the junction of Grass Lake, Leoni, and Napoleon Tps.; this is the site for collections by S. H. & D. R. Camp in the 1890s (as well as by others); and for Besseya bullii. The Wolf Lake in Lake Co. (7 miles N of Baldwin) and the one in northeastern Delta Co. are both noted for plants of Coastal Plain affinity. There are more than 20 other Wolf Lakes in Michigan.

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

K

 

 

Kalamazoo County

Barley Motors

sec. 4/5, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his labels for Melampyrum lineare and Lysimachia lanceolata).

Kalamazoo County

Brown Marsh

short distance S of Patton’s marsh (q.v.) (CRH, cf. his Flora p. 159).

Kalamazoo County

Brown’s West Woods

E. L. Brown’s, sec. 22, Prairie Ronde Tp. (CRH; E. L. Brown located in Schoolcraft, Hanes 1947, p. 224 under Datura).

Kalamazoo County

Budrow’s Marsh

sec. 4, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his 1934 label for Quercus coccinea; his Flora locates Budrow’s farm (p. 253) as “east of Sugarloaf Lake”—which could conceivably be near the oak site).

Kalamazoo County

Fraser’s Grove

southeast of Vicksburg (cf. CRH 1947, p. 127).

Kalamazoo County

Fruit Belt

old RR line in NW part of Texas Tp. (cf. CRH label for Tephrosia virginiana).

Kalamazoo County

Gull Prairie

near Richland (which formerly bore this name; First Survey in 1838; cf. McVaugh 1970 and Romig).

Kalamazoo County

Neasmith Crossing

on Grand Trunk RR, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his Flora, p. 255, under Rudbeckia triloba).

Kalamazoo County

Patton’s Marsh

1 mile SE of Harrison Lake, Prairie Ronde Tp. (CRH, cf. his Flora p. 159).

Kalamazoo or Jackson County?

Sand Lake

“8 or 10 miles from the village of Jacksonburgh” [original name for Jackson] (J. Wright in 1838 on label for Eleocharis equisetoides, NY). [There are over 20 other Sand Lakes in Michigan—but Humphrys does not include this one.] On the other hand, McVaugh (1970, p. 243) notes a “Sand Lake” 8 or 10 miles from Kalamazoo mentioned in a letter from John Wright (botanist with the First Survey) to John Torrey; this would accord with “Sandy Lakes” on old maps in the Austin Lake area.

Kalamazoo County

Schoolcraft

Caution! Note that the village of this name is hundreds of miles from Schoolcraft County in the Upper Peninsula.

Kalamazoo County

Shaffer’s farm

sec. 34, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his 1934 label for Juglans cinerea).

Kalamazoo County

Shaffer’s woods and marsh

NE of Goose Lake, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his label for Cornus canadensis and his Flora for Panicum tsugetorum and Quercus ellipsoidalis).

Kalamazoo County

Smith huckleberry marsh

sec. 32, Portage Tp. (cf. CRH 1934 label for Gentiana alba).

Kalamazoo County

Sugarloaf Lakes

area ca. 3 miles N of Schoolcraft (CRH).

Kalkaska County

Jam One

original name for Sharon (changed when a Post Office was established), where the North Branch of the Manistee River flows into the Manistee, near NW corner of T25N, R6W (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, pp. 54–55).

Kent County

Allen’s Pinery

= East St. Pinery in Grand Rapids (cf. EJC label for Monotropa hypopithys).

Kent County

Bailey Lake

“4 miles east of Grand Rapids” (cf. CWB 1940 label for Lysimachia terrestris; his locality is in accord with the map in Cole 1901 although this lake is unnamed on the 1914 topo map for Grand Rapid quad.: NW¼ sec. 25, Grand Rapids Tp.; however, that lake is now shown as East Lake on maps.) [Other maps (both recent and 1918 topo for Lowell quad.) show Bailey Lake in sec. 19 of Vergennes Tp., mapped by EJC (1901) as Long Lake. Since Miss Cole had attended high school in Vergennes and later taught there for four years, the discrepancy is especially odd; Bailey School was across the road from the lake, which suggests some authenticity to the name in that tp.]

Kent County

Douglas Farm

Fallassburg (CWF in 1886, cf. label for Arabis lyrata).

Kent County

Felt-boot factory

source of wool refuse used for fertilizer on the Phillips farm in sec. 19, Paris Tp., apparently introducing a number of species from the Southwest (cf. EJC 1901, p. 160 &, e.g., her labels for Erigeron flagellaris, Verbesina encelioides, Chrysopsis villosa, and also Mich. Flora 3: 380. 1996).

Kent County

Highland Park

a municipal park of this name is in Grand Rapids, north of the Grand Trunk RR and east of the Grand River.

Kent County

North Park

west of Softwater Lake.

Kent County

Paris

collectors in the Grand Rapids area (e.g., H. M. Bailey in the 1890s) refer to Paris Tp., in Kent Co.—not to the Mecosta Co. community (originally named Parish for a founder, but the final h was inexplicably dropped; cf. Mich. History 71(2): 15, March–April 1987).

Kent County

Phillips farm

see Felt-boot factory, above.

Kent County

Ramona Park

on Reed’s Lake, Grand Rapids, ca. 1900–1950 (cf. Chronicle 24(2): 5–6, July–Aug. 1988). [Not to be confused with Ramona Park, a settlement and old RR stop in Little Traverse Tp., Emmet Co.]

Kent County

Soldiers’ Home

built in 1886 in sec. 6, Grand Rapids Tp., now incorporated in the northern part of the city—formerly 3 miles from town; a frequent collecting site for late 19th century botanists incl. EJC; cf. Mich. History 82(4): 100, July–Aug. 1998, and, with view of the woods, 70(3): inside cover, May–June 1986).

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

Caribou Island

East and West Caribou Islands are immediately SW of Mott Island in the Isle Royale archipelago (only known site—which of the two was not stated—for Antennaria rosea in Michigan). [Should not be confused with the larger and more remote Caribou Island in eastern Lake Superior, Ontario, Canada.]

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

Ohio & Isle Royale Mine
[see note]

SE¼ sec. 34, T66N, R34W.

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

Ohio Trap Rock Mine
[see note]

SW¼ sec. 5, T49N, R40W.

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

Pittsburg & Isle Royale Mine
[see note]

NW¼ sec. 12, T65N, R36W.

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

Siskawit Mine
[see note]

SE¼ sec. 34, T66N, R34W.

Keweenaw County Albion Mine
[see note]
sec. 11, T57N, R32W.

Keweenaw County

Anderson’s Pond

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County Bohemian Mine
[see note]
SE¼ sec. 29, T58N, R29W.

Keweenaw County

Lake Bailey

ca. 2 miles E of Eagle Harbor (OAF 1943; probably a better known lake than any of the other half-dozen Bailey lakes in the state). [The 400-acre Lake Bailey Sanctuary of the Michigan Audubon Society is now in this area.]

Keweenaw County

Beaver Island

Besides the well-known island in Lake Michigan [Charlevoix Co.], note that this is also the old name for Manitou Island in Lake Superior off the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula [Keweenaw Co.] (cf. Lt. James Allen’s journal for June 15, 1832 [Mason 1958, p. 175]). There are yet other Beaver Islands in Minnesota: in Lake Superior (Lake Co., a flora by Lakela in Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 75: 265–271. 1948) and in the Mississippi River at St. Cloud (cf. Minnesota Conservation Volunteer Sept.–Oct. 1976, p. 16).

Keweenaw County

Belle Isle

this tiny island (with National Park campground) on the northwest side of Isle Royale was so-named in 1915 (Parratt & Welker), and formerly had a resort and post office. [It should not be confused with the much better-known and thoroughly developed Belle Isle (named in 1845) in the Detroit River (Wayne Co.); cf. Mich. History 87(6): 5–19, Nov.–Dec. 2003.]

Keweenaw County

Black Pool (Meadow)

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Bodies Creek Meadow

the creek flows into Eagle River at Phoenix (OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Bohemia, Mt.

sec. 29, T58N, R29W.

Keweenaw County

Cedar Creek Valley

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Central Mine
[see note]

in SE¼ sec. 23, T58N, R31W (J. W. Robbins in 1861 and 1863).

Keweenaw County

Clark Mine
[see note]

E½ sec. 4, T58N, R28W (OAF).

Keweenaw County Cliff Mine
[see note]
SW¼ sec. 36, T58N, R32W.

Keweenaw County

Clifton (or Cliff)

village at the great Cliff Mine site, nearly 3 miles SW of Eagle River (with shafts in several sections, including sec. 36, T58N, R32W, and adjacent sec. 1, T57N). Oliver A. Farwell (father of the botanist) was agent in charge of the mine from 1871 (coming from the nearby Phoenix Mine) until his death in 1881. OAF the botanist collected extensively in the Cliff area. [It is no coincidence that Hervey Parke, who handled the business records for the Cliff Mine 1852–1863, was founder of the Parke, Davis firm, which employed the botanist Farwell from 1892 until his retirement in 1933.] The Cliff lands were purchased by Calumet & Hecla (q.v., as “C. & H.”) in 1909. (For much information, cf. Chaput, The Cliff: America’s First Great Copper Mine, p. 55. 1971.)

Keweenaw County Copper Falls Mine
[see note]
SE¼ sec. 11, T58N, R31W.

Keweenaw County

Cranberry Marsh

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Devil’s Washtub

SE¼ sec. 25, T59N, R29W (ca. 2 miles W of Copper Harbor).

Keweenaw County

East Bluff

in sec. 1, T58N, R28W and nearby (see also Vulcan, below).

Keweenaw County

Esrey Park

on Agate Harbor, ca. 5 miles E of Eagle Harbor.

Keweenaw County

Farwell, Mt.

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Five-mile Pt.

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County Forsyth Mine
[see note]
SE¼ sec. 33, T57N, R32W.

Keweenaw County

Garden City

old mine site near Eagle River (OAF 1943; coll. 1886, 1940, etc.). [Not the Garden City in Wayne Co., W of Dearborn.]

Keweenaw or Alger County

Grand Marais

harbor (so known since 1660) and village in Alger Co.; a less well-known harbor E of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw Co.). [There is also a third Grand Marais on Lake Superior, in Cook Co., northeasternmost Minnesota.]

Keweenaw County

Gratiot Range

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Gratiot River

(Lewis Foote in 1865). [A county park is now at the river mouth.]

Keweenaw County

Gull Rock

off the west end of Manitou Island (cf. Beacon 20(2): 8–10, Summer 2002 and 20(3): 21, Fall 2002). [Not to be confused with Gull Islands NE of Passage Island, Isle Royale Natl. Park.]

Keweenaw County

Hayes Pt.

at Copper Harbor (cf. map in Mich. History 61: 225. 1977).

Keweenaw County

Hebard Park

county park, sec. 26, T59N, R29W.

Keweenaw County

Hill’s Creek

mouth on Lake Superior ca. 1 mile SW of Gratiot River (cf. Lewis Foote 1865 label for Ranunculus reptans). [Sometimes corrupted to “Mill Creek” on maps.]

Keweenaw County

Houghton, Douglass, Creek

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Houghton, Mt.

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Hunter’s Point

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw/Houghton County

Keweenaw Point

[Most 19th century collectors did not restrict this “Point” to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, as modern maps show it, but included at least the northern portion of Houghton Co. (or even parts of Ontonagon and Baraga counties; cf. Voss, 1978, p. 77). Map in Foster and Whitney 1850 indicates the Point as far S as latitude of Houghton; and an 1832 observation by Lt. Allen (in Mason 1958, p. 178) notes that the “Point” is “often applied to the whole peninsula.”]

Keweenaw County Lac La Belle Mine
[see note]
NE¼ sec. 32, T58N, R29W.

Keweenaw County

Lake Glazon

sec. 28, T59N, R3W (OAF).

Keweenaw County

Lookout, Mt.

sec. 3, T58N, R3W. The Nature Conservancy now has a preserve there.

Keweenaw County

Manhattan Mine

immediately south of Cliff Mine (q.v.), but never achieved its production.

Keweenaw County

Manitou Isl. (and adjacent Gull Rock)

(cf. Beacon 20(2): 10–12, Summer 2002). [North Manitou and South Manitou islands in Lake Michigan are entirely different, in Leelanau Co.]

Keweenaw County

Meadow Mine

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Montreal River

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

North American Mine
[see note]

NE¼ sec. 2, T57N, R32W.

Keweenaw County

North Cliff Pond

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Northwest Mine
[see note]

sec. 15, T58N, R30W.

Keweenaw County

Northwestern Mine
[see note]

sec. 24, T58N, R31W.

Keweenaw County

Phoenix (formerly Lake Superior) Mine
[see note]

secs. 19 and 20, T58N, R31W [but later maps have Old Phoenix Mine in sec. 30].

Keweenaw County

Resolute

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Sand Bay

(OAF 1943; “Great Sand Bay” is between Eagle River and Eagle Harbor).

Keweenaw County

Seneca Lake

ca. 1 mile NW of Mohawk (OAF 1943; the only lake of that name in Michigan fide Humphrys).

Keweenaw County

Silver Creek (or River) Meadow

(OAF 1943).

Keweenaw County

Vaughnsville

(OAF 1943; cf. also Romig 1972).

Keweenaw County

Vulcan

triangulation station on East Bluff (near SE corner sec. 1, T58N, R28W), established by the U. S. Lake Survey in 1866 for primary triangulation of Lake Superior (cf. Voss 1978, p. 52).

Keweenaw County

West Bluff

now identified (if at all) on maps as “Brockway Mt.,” on Brockway Mountain Drive ca. 3 miles W of Copper Harbor. [The Michigan Audubon Society and the Michigan Nature Association have sanctuaries here; classical site for rare plants, including western disjunct species, since the days of O. A. Farwell and M. L. Fernald.]

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

L

 

 

Lake County

Bowery Park

on Big Star Lake (CWB in 1947 etc.).

Lenawee County

Hidden Lake Gardens

in Franklin Tp., ca. 2 miles W of Tipton.

Lenawee/Monroe County

Macon Creek (or River)

(Folwell in 1832; cf. Mich. Bot. 17: 180 footnote. 1978).

Livingston County

Howell Junction

= Annpere, ca. 1 mile SE of Howell.

Livingston County

Island Lake

(OAF July 16, 1905; CFW May 31, 1898) [there are ca. 30 other Island Lakes in Michigan].

Livingston County

Mont Lake

ca. 3.5 miles N of Brighton (now = Clark Lake) on line between sec. 7, T2N, R6E, and sec. 12, T2N, R5E (Mary Clark collected here ca. 1838).

Livingston/Washtenaw County

Portage Lake

E. B. Mains’ 1913 collections were made at Gaige’s cottage at N end of the lake (Livingston Co.), he once told me. OAF on June 12, 1921, collected in Dexter Tp., Washtenaw Co. (cf. Pap. Mich. Acad. 2: 22 [1924] and Walpole 1924, p. 36: Scleranthus).

Livingston County

Tyrone

Tyrone Tp., NE corner of the county (OAF on June 10, 1930) [but note that there is also a Tyrone Township in Kent Co., where others have collected].

Livingston/Washtenaw County

Whitmore Lake

on the county line. (OAF on July 20, 1927, nos. 8006–8019, was apparently on the Washtenaw Co. side [cf. his label for Lilium michiganense] and likewise Sept. 5, 1923, nos. 6173–6176 [cf. his field notes]; he was at the north end, in Livingston Co., on June 15, 1927, nos. 7948–7967 [cf. his field notes]).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

M

 

 

Mackinac County

Whitefish Point

Besides the well known site on Lake Superior (Chippewa Co.), note that there is another Whitefish Point on the W side of Prentiss Bay in Mackinac Co., just E of Les Cheneaux (Ehlers & Erlanson in 1924; Voss in 1983). There is also a Whitefish Point across Thunder Bay, E of Alpena, on Whitefish Bay (Alpena Co.).

Mackinac County

Bois Blanc Island

CB collected here in 1914 and 1916 (cf. labels for Taxus canadensis, Salix cordata, etc.) as did others in other years, including S. H. Camp in the 1890s. CB also collected in 1914 at the island of the same name [also often corrupted to “BobLo”—to which it was officially changed in 1949] in the Detroit River, on the Canadian side of the International border and hence in Essex Co., Ontario (cf. his label for Physalis longifolia and also Farmer, pp. 7–8).

Mackinac County

LaSalle Island

in Les Cheneaux, north end of Lake Huron (J. R. Churchill in 1910, MO, and misleadingly said on his labels to be “near Sault Ste. Marie”).

Mackinac County

Scotty Bay

on W side of Beavertail Point in sec. 4, T41N, R2E, E of Les Cheneaux on north shore of Lake Huron (Erlanson in 1924 et al.).

Mackinac County

Upham’s clearing

sec. 27, Bois Blanc Island (M. T. Bingham in 1939; cf. her label for Monarda fistulosa).

Mackinac County

Whitefish Lake

(Mrs. Calvin Goodrich in August, 1922, and presumably also B. E. Quick the same summer). [There are also several other Whitefish Lakes in the state.]

Macomb County

Adams tamarack

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Malaxis monophylla, Carex brunnescens, C. canescens, C. trisperma).

Macomb County

Adams, G., tamarack swamp

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1842 label for Carex disperma).

Macomb County

Adams, Geo., meadow

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845–1846 labels for Carex alopecoidea and Poa palustris).

Macomb County

Adams, John

ca. 1 mi N of Disco, Shelby Tp.

Macomb County

Andrews

H. Andrews property in Shelby [Tp., sec. 4] (cf. DC label for Aster lanceolatus).

Macomb County

Ashery brook

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Agrostis gigantea).

Macomb County

Axford, J. S.

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Lithospermum caroliniense).

Macomb County

Bates farm

John Bates farm, Washington [Tp.] (cf. Cooley label for Potamogeton gramineus).

Macomb County

Bennett Brook

SW 35, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Callitriche verna).

Macomb County

Brown tamarack

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex hystericina and C. tenera).

Macomb County

Brown’s

Saul Brown’s, Shelby [Tp., sec. 3] (cf. DC label for Aster lanceolatus).

Macomb County

Burlingham’s field

Washington [Tp.] (cf. 1852 DC label for Salix bebbiana).

Macomb County

Camp meeting ground

Bruce [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845 label for Carex tenera).

Macomb County

Cannon’s farm

J. Cannon’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1850 label for Agrostis gigantea).

Macomb County

Carpenter’s

Simon Carpenter’s meadow (cf. DC 1845 label for Ranunculus acris [no tp. indicated]).

Macomb County

Clifton Marsh

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Eleocharis rostellata, Poa languida, Carex buxbaumii, etc.).

Macomb County

Clifton Mill Pond

sec. 6, Washington Tp.

Macomb County

Crisman’s

Jack Crisman’s land, Washington [Tp., presumably sec. 22 or 27] (cf. DC 1840 label for Aster lateriflorus).

Macomb County

Crooked Pond

Washington [Tp.] (probably = what now is Crooked Lake, in sec. 5—a natural lake with a dam, fide Humphrys; cf. DC 1843 label for Carex viridula).

Macomb County?

Davis, L.

(DC in 1837, cf. label for Rumex crispus); later plats show property of many Davises in Macomb Co., including Washington Tp., but the earlier of them show no L. Davis.

Macomb County?

DeGroff meadow

(DC in 1853, Elymus virginicus); the DeGroff name is on old plat maps in Ray Tp. and Hezekiah DeGroff built a sawmill 2 ½ miles E of Davis [= Brooklyn] in Ray Tp. (cf. Eldredge, Past & Present of Macomb County, 1905)—but DC label offers no clue as to tp. or even county.

Macomb County

Goff Plains

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex muhlenbergii, Bromus kalmii, Pyrola rotundifolia).

Macomb County

Green’s

Lazarus Green’s (DC in 1839), sec. 28, Washington Tp. (cf. county history).

Macomb County

Haddon

sec. 23, Washington Tp.

Macomb County

Hill’s pond

(DC in 1845), N½ SW¼ sec. 27, Ray Tp. (cf. 1859 map).

Macomb County

Hosner Marsh

Washington [Tp.] (DC in 1843 etc.; but most Hosner properties were in Bruce Tp. fide plat maps).

Macomb County

Kapp, G. W.

wheat field, meadow, Washington [Tp.] (DC, cf. 1845 labels for Carex tenera and C. formosa).

Macomb County

Keeler Marsh

Washington [Tp.] (DC in 1839 and 1849, cf. labels for Carex lanuginosa and C. sartwellii).

Macomb County

Keeler’s, N.

sec. 21 and 28, Washington Tp. (fide 1859 plat map). [Not the crossroads of Keeler in Van Buren Co.]

Macomb County

Kline Farm

Shelby [Tp.] (DC in 1853, cf. label for Ranunculus flabellaris).

Macomb County

Knapp swale

Washington [Tp.] (DC, cf. label for Scirpus atrovirens).

Macomb County

Lamb’s

Lamb’s meadow, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845 label for Carex tenera).

Macomb County

Lawrence Marsh

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Solidago patula hybrid).

Macomb County

Leach’s

Ike Leach’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex cristatella).

Macomb County

Lyons

Elias Lyons, Ray [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex plantaginea, May 30, 1852).

Macomb County

Lyons

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Aster dumosus, Sept. 11, 1837).

Macomb County

Manly farms

Macomb [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845 labels for Carex intumescens and C. retrorsa). “J. W. Manley’s farm” on 1845 Sparganium eurycarpum label is uncertain; 1875 plat shows it in sec. 3, Shelby Tp., but there is no such clue on 1859 plat.

Macomb County

McCracken’s marsh

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Aster lateriflorus).

Macomb County

McGregor’s

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1840 label for Aster lanceolatus).

Macomb County

Miller’s

Jo. Miller’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Agrostis gigantea, Agropyron trachycaulum, Sphenopholis nitida, Linum virginianum).

Macomb County

Miller’s

Worcester Miller’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1848 label for Carex normalis).

Macomb County

Monfore

vic. of Disco, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Polygonum hydropiperoides and Solidago speciosa).

Macomb County

Moon’s marsh

(?sec. 7, Washington Tp. [only Moon property in 1859 Macomb Co. plat]; cf. DC label for Gentianopsis procera).

Macomb County

Morris’ farm

Benj. Morris’, Ray [Tp.] (DC in 1845, cf. label for Lactuca biennis).

Macomb County

Morrison’s

Shelby [Tp.]: (DC in 1841).

Macomb County

Norton’s

Hugh Norton’s meadow, Ray [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex tenera).

Macomb/St.Clair County

New Baltimore

on the county line (OAF’s nos. 8551–8569 in 1929 are attributed to the St. Clair Co. side of the line [cf. his field notes]; he attributes 6389 and 6390 in 1922 to Macomb Co. Some other collectors may not have been so precise). For A. J. Pieters’ 1893 collections from Lake St. Clair near New Baltimore (cf. Bull. Mich. Fish Comm. 2. 1894), his map shows no county line—which would be just W of 80°45'W longitude as shown on his map; if a label mentions some specific site or station in the lake, it may be possible to assign a county.

Macomb County

Partridge Brook

John Adams’ land = ca. l mile N of Disco, Shelby Tp. (cf. DC label for Cuscuta gronovii).

Macomb County?

Philps [?]

(DC 1852 label for Glyceria septentrionalis has “Philps” but no tp.; 1875 Macomb Co. plat map shows J. & N. Phelps in Washington and Bruce Tps.).

Macomb County

Powers, Dr.

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Mollugo verticillata).

Macomb County

Preston’s Mill Pond

NE of Disco in Shelby Tp. on Middle Branch of Clinton River (cf. M. A. Leeson, History of Macomb County and DC 1840 labels for Potamogeton amplifolius and Myriophyllum heterophyllum).

Macomb County

Reserve

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Glyceria striata, Carex cephaloidea, C. laxiculmis, C. grayi, etc.).

Macomb County

Ruby’s

Elisha Ruby’s, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. 1851 DC label for Polygonum punctatum). [Not the same as Ruby in Clyde Tp., St. Clair Co.]

Macomb County

Scranton’s

G. W. Scranton’s, Washington [Tp., sec. 27] (cf. DC 1844 label for Echinochloa walteri; “Scranton Marsh” [Eleocharis erythropoda in 1847 and Carex lacustris in 1843] presumably the same).

Macomb County

Shaw

Marvil Shaw, Washington Tp. (DC in 1841).

Macomb County

Shelby

the township (T3N, R12E) in Macomb Co. is immediately south of Washington (where Dennis Cooley and William A. Burt lived). [It should not be confused with the village of Shelby (in another Shelby Tp.) in Muskegon Co. on the opposite side of the state.]

Macomb County

Sheldon Sawmill

(DC, presumably sec. 16, Ray Tp., on Clinton River).

Macomb County

Southerland’s

Silas Southerland’s, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1840 label for Aster lanceolatus).

Macomb County

Stead’s

Shelby [Tp., sec. 33] (DC in 1850; cf. his label for Potamogeton amplifolius).

Macomb County

Steele farm

Ray [Tp.] (DC).

Macomb County

Stevens farm

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. 1840 DC label for Aster dumosus).

Macomb County

Stones

A. Stones, Washington [Tp., sec. 13] (DC in 1847, cf. label for Carex lanuginosa).

Macomb County

Tacoma

I have been unable to locate this site where OAF collected his nos. 4263–4274 July 2, 1916, attributing them to Macomb Co. in his field notes and in some published citations, but without further information. He collected at no other place that day, and the collections include both upland and fen species.

Macomb County

Thompson

Nehemiah Thompson’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1852 label for Salix sericea).

Macomb County

Thorps meadow

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex debilis and C. scoparia).

Macomb County

Thurston

D. Thurston’s land, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1837 label for Euthamia graminifolia).

Macomb County

Warren’s

Elder Abel Warren’s, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1840 label for Muhlenbergia schreberi and 1845 label for Lactuca biennis).

Macomb County?, probably Washington Tp.

Webster Farm

(DC in 1839, cf. label for Trisetum melicoides; Daniel Webster was first constable, then treasurer in 1827; another Webster has land in sec. 13 on the 1859 plat map).

Macomb County

Wilcox farm

Elias Wilcox, NE¼ sec. 3, T3N, R12E [Shelby Tp.] (fide DC 1844 label for Lithospermum arvense).

Macomb County

Willey’s

“along the north branch of the Clinton” (cf. DC 1840 label for Monarda didyma; presumably sec. 27, Ray Tp., where Willey land is shown on the North Branch on 1859 and 1875 plat maps).

Macomb County

Yates Cider Mill

NW of Utica (cf. Mich. Hist. 81(4): 42, July–Aug. 1997).

Manistee County

Bear Lake

EJH in 1880.

Manistee County

Canfield’s Farm

now within the southwestern city limits of Manistee; type locality for Potamogeton hillii (cf. Morong label, 14 Aug. 1882, NY, “pool on Canfield’s farm, near Manistee”). [The property was acquired by the Manistee Country Club in the late 1880s and the two pools were drained (letter of Sept. 28, 1959, from C. N. Russell, president of Manistee County Historical Society, to EGV, quoted in Mich. Bot. 4: 13–14. 1965). Not the same as Canfield Lake, 3 miles to the southeast.]

Manistee County

Portage Park

sec. 21–22, Onekama Tp., fide 1926 county map (L. M. Umbach in 1916).

Marquette County

Isle Royale Stamp Mill

moved in late 1880s from Houghton [Houghton Co.] to Republic [Marquette Co.] (cf. Mich. History 53: 115. 1969).

Marquette County

Feeding Ground Lake

SE¼ sec. 31, T45N, R25W. [There are also Big and Little Feeding Ground lakes in Ogemaw Co. (Locke in 1941).]

Marquette County

Little Lake

ca. 3–5 miles E of Gwinn; this is presumably the “Little Lake” of Dachnowski in 1906, although not in the Marquette Quadrangle (neither is the very much smaller Little Lake just W of Teal Lake); the town of the same name (but P.O. then called Forsyth) was on the Chicago & Northwestern RR 22 miles SE of Negaunee—suggesting that Dachnowski traveled through Little Lake and Sands (q.v.).

Marquette County

Longyear Tract

ca. 5 miles W of Marquette.

Marquette County

Mesnard, Mount

sec. 34–35, T48N, R35W (Dachnowski in 1906 et al.; cf. Rep. Mich. Acad. 9: 89. 1908).

Marquette County

New England Mine

sec. 16, T47N, R27W (Mary Clark in 1871 and 1872).

Marquette County

Normal

= Northern State Normal School (now Northern Michigan University), Marquette (A. Dachnowski in 1906). [“Normal” is also shorthand on labels (CMC) for the Central State Normal School (now Central Michigan University) in Mt. Pleasant. Similarly, expect the same cryptic abbreviation for the former Normal Schools in Kalamazoo (Western Michigan University) and Ypsilanti (Eastern Michigan University), so that context such as origin of herbarium specimens may be needed for interpretation.]

Marquette County

Partridge Island

in Partridge Bay of Lake Superior, NW of Marquette.

Marquette County

Pickerell Lake

= Harlow Lake near Little Presque Isle, NW of Marquette (Dachnowski in 1906; cf. 1907 topo map).

Marquette County

Presque Isle

on N side of city of Marquette (Dachnowski in 1906 et al.).

Marquette County

Redberry Lake

on Longyear Tract (q.v.).

Marquette County

Salmon Trout River

this one flows into Lake Superior at Salmon Trout Bay west of Salmon Trout Pt., and is perhaps better known than the preceding, which was early called “Little” Salmon Trout (cf. Peters in Mich. Academician 18: 412. 1986).

Marquette County

Sands

station on the Chicago & Northwestern RR 13 miles SE of Negaunee; presumably this is the “Sands” of A. Dachnowski in 1906 (and not the village of Sands ca. 3 miles to the north—neither, however, in the Marquette Quadrangle, which Dachnowski surveyed). [Named for Louis Sands, not for the dry sandy plains there, as described by Dachnowski in Rep. Mich. Acad. 9: 94. 1908.]

Marquette County

Shot Point

on Lake Superior just W of Alger Co. line.

Marquette County

Sugarloaf Mt.

sec. 32, T49N, R25W. [Do not confuse with the well known “Sugarloaf” rock on Mackinac Island.]

Marquette County

Wetmore Pond

NE¼ sec. 31, T49N, R25W. [Not at village of Wetmore in Alger Co.]

Mecosta County

Fork Township

(S. Lane Wilson in 1961–1978, MSC)

Menominee County

Camp 5

(cf. CAD 1905 label for Physalis virginiana).

Menominee County

Camp 7

ca. 1 mile W of Faithorn, Menominee River (cf. Mich. Man. 1905, p. 162, Menominee River station on the Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Sault Ste. Marie RR, and CAD 1905 labels for Agropyron smithii and Carex granularis).

Menominee County

Menominee River Station

(See Camp 7 above, CAD in 1905).

Missaukee County

Jennings

in Lake Tp., Missaukee Co., but in 1922 most of the town was moved 11 miles west to Cadillac in Wexford Co. (cf. Chronicle 22(2): 13, July–Aug. 1986).

Monroe County

Carlton

= Carleton (cf. CFW label for Uvularia sessilifolia).

Monroe/Lenawee County

Macon Creek (or River)

(Folwell in 1832; cf. Mich. Bot. 17: 180 footnote. 1978).

Monroe County

Stoney Creek

the electric interurban station was 4 mi SW of Newport (Mich. Man. 1905, p. 269); the creek itself crosses much of the county. OAF walked from Monroe along the tracks to Stoney Creek June 9, 1921 (cf. his field notes and Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 46 etc. 1928); he also collected at this Stoney Creek Aug. 17, 1927. [Of course there are Stoney/Stony Creeks in a number of other Michigan counties.]

Montcalm County

Davis Lake

the pool in Vestaburg Bog (q.v.). [This is not any of the 12 Davis Lakes in Humphrys.]

Montcalm County

MacCurdy Ecological Tract

includes Vestaburg Bog (q.v.; cf. also Crispin 1980).

Montcalm County

Vestaburg Bog (Vestaburg Ecological Station)

sec. 34, T12N R5W (CAD et al., ALMA); now in the MacCurdy Ecological Tract (q.v.).

Montmorency County

Bardings

SW corner sec. 8, T30N, R1E (Case in 1956 etc.).

Muskegon County

Duck Lake

at Michillinda (H. C. Cowles in 1906, cf. label for Lemna minor). [A State Park is now on the north side of this lake, with frontage also on Lake Michigan. There are about 30 other Duck Lakes in Michigan.]

Muskegon County

Five Lakes

a group of five drying lakes/hollows strongly dependent on water tables, in southwest part of Eggleston Tp. (T10N, R15W); Carr Lake is the largest (and the only one with a name—that once reportedly encompassed all); cf. McLouth in 1900, Scirpus hallii, et al. Part of the area is now a sanctuary of the Michigan Nature Association. [I know of no plant collections from Five Lakes, formerly a settlement and P.O. in Lapeer Co.; cf. Romig.]

Muskegon County

Stewart Lake

(C. D. McLouth on June 26, 1900 [fide label on Panicum boreale, MSC]; CFW collected here the same date (Panicum commonsianum and P. implicatum; no such lake is indexed by Humphrys).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

N

 

 

Newaygo County

Loda Lake

2 miles N of Diamond Lake.

Newaygo County

Woodville

(OAF on Aug. 4, 1921).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

O

 

 

Oakland County?

Andrews Lake

OAF collected on the same dates in Waterford Tp., Pontiac, and Bloomfield, all in Oakland Co.—but this lake is not on any map I have located; he cited the lake without county in Am. Midl. Nat. 9: 261. 1925.

Oakland County

Axford farm

Long John Axford farm, Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex lasiocarpa).

Oakland County

Baldwin’s

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex pseudocyperus).

Oakland County

Benedict Marsh

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex buxbaumii and Hierochloë odorata).

Oakland County

Chamberlain Mill

DC in 1839, probably SW¼ sec. 1, Addison Tp.—but marsh 1 mile E (cf. 1839 label for Carex lacustris) would be in Sec. 6, Bruce Tp., Macomb Co.).

Oakland County

Chamberlin Marsh

Addison [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex tetanica var. meadii).

Oakland County

Cove, The

on Lakeville Lake (cf. CB in Pap. Mich. Acad. 11: 51–73. 1930).

Oakland County

Detroit Zoo

sec. 21, T1N, R11E (ca. 2 miles SW of Royal Oak); not in Wayne Co., as labels are often misinterpreted because of the word “Detroit” (J. M. Sutton in 1916 (cf. his report in Rep. Mich. Acad. 19: 263–271. 1918).

Oakland County

Dewey’s

Dewey’s in Oakland [Tp.] (DC in 1847, Polygonum amphibium).

Oakland County

Due West

an interurban station “near Rochester” (cf. OAF in Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 49 [1928], under Carex richardsonii).

Oakland County

Duns Scotus Coll.

Southfield.

Oakland County

Flanders meadow

Avon [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex tenera).

Oakland County

Flummerfelt’s

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC 1848 label for Muhlenbergia glomerata). [The old 223-acre farmstead was cleared for development early in 2004.]

Oakland County

Col. George’s Estate

sec. 17, Bloomfield Tp. [Not to be confused with the E. S. George Reserve, given by Col. George in 1930 to the University of Michigan, in Livingston Co.]

Oakland County

Hersey’s

James Hersey’s mill pond, Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC 1852 label for Carex richardsonii). [But Romig locates James Hersey’s sawmill, built in 1824, in Avon Tp.—which was not separated from Oakland Tp. until 1835, while other sources locate it, built in 1819, more precisely in S½ sec. 10, Avon Tp.]

Oakland County

Junior

(OAF collected here and at Harris July 13, 1918)

Oakland County

Limberlost

Bloomfield Tp.

Oakland County

Locke’s [Corner]:

(OAF 1943; cf. CB labels for Quercus muehlenbergii “near Farmington” and Fraxinus quadrangulata “near Farmington Jct.”).

Oakland County

"M b"

Marl bed at Parkedale (q.v.) (OAF; cf. Rep. Mich. Acad. 15: 151, etc. 1915).

Oakland County

McCracken’s

John McCracken’s, Avon [Tp.] (cf. DC 1848 label for Carex eburnea).

Oakland County

Middle Beach

(OAF 1943, for specimen from M. T. Bingham).

Oakland/Wayne County

Mill Rd.

Southfield Rd. (OAF collections of June 23, 1920, are from Wayne Co. [OAF 1943]).

Oakland County

Norton Hills

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC 1839 label for Carex muhlenbergii).

Oakland County

Parkedale

near Rochester (S of the Van Hoosen farm). OAF collected extensively here, at the research property owned by his employer, Parke, Davis & Co., which acquired it in 1908. [Three photos of the “Parke-Davis Biological Farm” are between pp. 46 and 47 in Eula Pray, History of Avon Township 1820–1940 (Ann Arbor, 1986), with relevant text on pp. 55–58. The facility was sold in 1998 by Warner-Lambert, which had absorbed Parke, Davis. For OAF’s flora of Parkedale, including description and map, see Rep. Mich. Acad. 15: 150–192. 1914.]

Oakland County

Pingree Woods

(OAF 1943).

Oakland County

Porter’s

John Porter’s blacksmith shop, Oakland [Tp.] (DC, 1845–1850; cf. his labels for Agrostis hyemalis and Habenaria leucophaea).

Oakland County

Powell Lake

near Oxford (OAF on Sept. 24, 1924).

Oakland County

Price’s Mill Pond

Avon [Tp.] (cf. 1872 Oakland Co. plat map and DC 1839 labels for Sagittaria cuneata and Ceratophyllum demersum—or Oakland [Tp.] (cf. 1839 label for Elodea canadensis). [Avon Tp. was separated from Oakland in 1835.]

Oakland County

Star

(OAF 1943).

Oakland County

Stevens

apparently near Farmington (OAF and CB collected here July 14, 1918, and CB at “Stevens Corners” Sept. 14, 1916. [It was here (in a private woods) on May 19, 1917, that OAF collected the variable trilliums described in Rep. Mich. Acad. 20: 155–159. 1919. OAF, CB, and J. H. Ehlers were in the woods again to examine the trilliums and other plants May 8, 1927.]

Oakland County

Stony Creek

vicinity of Rochester, Avon Tp. OAF collected here (the creek flowed through Parkedale in sec. 12; cf. Pap. Mich. Acad. 15: 150. 1914). DC also collected at Stony Creek marsh (E border in Avon [Tp.], cf. his 1843 label for Scirpus hudsonianus and also 1847 label for Salix eriocephala); however, DC 1848 label for C. crawei on “bank of Stony Creek marsh” is attributed to Washington [Tp., Macomb Co.]. (On Stony Creek history, including Van Hoosen farm, see Mich. History 62(3): 18–36, Sept–Oct. 1978 and 79(5): 53–55, Sept.–Oct. 1995.)

Oakland County

Townsend Marsh

Oakland [Tp.] (DC 1837 label for Carex tetanica; however, on an 1840 label for Solidago patula he crossed out “Oakland” and wrote in “Washington” [Tp., Macomb Co.]; on some other 1840 and 1847 labels he has merely “Washington” (the 1859 plat has no Townsend property in Washington Tp.). On his label for an 1840 collection of Zizania aquatica, he wrote “Townsend pond on the line of Washington–Oakland,” so he obviously was aware of the county line.

Oakland County

Warners Sawmill

Troy [Tp.] (cf. DC 1850 label for Erigenia bulbosa).

Oakland County

Water Works

Rochester, sometimes abbreviated by OAF on his labels as “R.W.W.”, N½ sec. 4 (cf. map p. 2 and endpapers in Eula Pray, History of Avon Township, 1986).

Oakland County

Woodward at Lacy

(CB).

Ontonagon County

Adventure Mine
[see note]

SW¼ sec. 35, T58N, R38W [evident error for T51N (the indicated tp. does not exist)].

Ontonagon County

Douglass Houghton Mine
[see note]

NW¼ sec. 15, T51N, R37W.

Ontonagon County

Flint Steel River

 

Ontonagon County

Forest Mine
[see note]

SW¼ sec. 30, T50N, R39W.

Ontonagon County

Green

(Pammel & Fisk in 1926; but there are other Green(e)s in Michigan).

Ontonagon County

Iron River

just west of Silver City (H. Gillman in 1868); not the outlet of Lake Independence in Marquette Co., nor the community in Iron Co. Little Iron River of Gillman is just a mile farther west.

Ontonagon County

Merriweather

on Lake Gogebic (L. H. Pammel in 1926).

Ontonagon County

Military Hill

near Lake Mine (Greenland Tp.).

Ontonagon County

Minesota Mine
[see note]

NW¼ sec. 15, T50N, R39W [due to an alleged clerical error, originally spelled this way and not “Minnesota” as intended (cf. also Romig and Mich. History 82(6): 20, Nov.–Dec. 1998)].

Ontonagon County

Misery Bay

at mouth of Misery River near Houghton County line, on Lake Superior (OAF 1943; Lewis Foote in Aug. 1865—but there is also a Misery Bay in Alpena Co.).

Ontonagon County

Sleeping River

East and West Sleeping rivers empty into Sleeping Bay between Wolf Pt. and Fourteen Mile Pt. in eastern Ontonagon Co. (cf. Peters in Mich. Academician 18: 417. 1986).

Oscoda County

Blockhouse

on Blockhouse Creek, NE¼ sec. 12, T26N, R4E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 34).

Oscoda County

Comins

Comins’ farm (CFW et al. in 1888), on N side of Au Sable River west of Comins Creek, in sec. 11, T26N, R3E (cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 36, note 44); the later community of Comins is 10 miles to the north.

Oscoda County

Palmer’s Farm

Dr. Oscar Palmer’s farm was in sec. 6, T26N, R1E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, pp. 39–40, footnote 49).

Oscoda County

Potts’ Headquarters

= McKinley, sec. 15, T26N, R4E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 35).

Ottawa County

Black River

The river and the Black Lake into which it flows were changed to Macatawa River and Macatawa Lake in 1974 and 1935, respectively.

Ottawa County

Bridge St. Ferry, West

west of Grand Rapids, sec. 20, Tallmadge Tp. (EJC).

Ottawa County

Camp Blodgett

sec. 28, Grand Haven Tp.

Ottawa County

Highland Park

a resort at Grand Haven (Mary B. Fallass in 1893–1896, etc.). [The elegant 19th century Highland Park Hotel was destroyed by fire in December of 1967.]

Ottawa/Allegan County

Holland

32nd St. is the county line: higher numbers are in Allegan Co., lower numbers in Ottawa Co.

Ottawa County

Jenison Park

W end of Lake Macatawa (fide 1932 county map).

Ottawa County

Pottawattomie Bayou

on the Grand River in Grand Haven Tp., SE of Grand Haven (CWB et al.).

Ottawa County

Spring Lake

J. A. Drushel collected here in 1919 (specimens, MO). [But in 1931 he collected at a Spring Lake in New Jersey (cf. his label for Hypochaeris).]

Ottawa County

West Bridge St. Ferry

west of Grand Rapids, sec. 20, Tallmadge Tp. (EJC).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

P

 

 

Presque Isle County

Besser Natural Area

in sec. 13 and 14, T33N, R8E at Bolton Pt.

Presque Isle County

Presque Isle

Lewis Foote’s collecting on June 15, 1863, must have been in Presque Isle Co. On June 17 he was collecting at Ephraim, Wisconsin, and he could hardly have gotten there via the Presque Isle in Marquette Co., on Lake Superior.

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

S

 

 

Schoolcraft County

Cornell’s

W. T. S. Cornell’s farm near Hiawatha (cf. CKD label for Polygonum persicaria).

Schoolcraft County

Floodwood

sec. 14, T43N, R14W, on the Manistique River (CKD in 1915; cf. Mich. Geol. Biol. Surv. Publ. 31, p. 75. 1921). [Not to be confused with a Floodwood in NW Dickinson Co., from which no plant collections have been seen.]

St. Clair County

Edgewater Park

at Algonac (OAF) .

St.Clair/Macomb County

New Baltimore

on the county line (OAF’s nos. 8551–8569 in 1929 are attributed to the St. Clair Co. side of the line [cf. his field notes]; he attributes 6389 and 6390 in 1922 to Macomb Co. Some other collectors may not have been so precise). For A. J. Pieters’ 1893 collections from Lake St. Clair near New Baltimore (cf. Bull. Mich. Fish Comm. 2. 1894), his map shows no county line—which would be just W of 80°45'W longitude as shown on his map; if a label mentions some specific site or station in the lake, it may be possible to assign a county.

St. Clair County

St. Clair Flats

at mouth of St. Clair River, in Lake St. Clair; long dredged to accommodate navigation (old maps, history, etc., in Beacon 19(4), Winter 2001–02).

St. Clair County

Star Island

in St. Clair Flats, Lake St. Clair (A. B. Lyons in 1877; cf. his label for Carex rostrata and Chronicle 27(1–2): 26. 1993). “Star Island Cut” was between two of the islands near end of S. Channel Dr., just NW of International border (cf. old maps of the Flats, e.g. as in Beacon 19(4): 13, Winter 2001–02).

St. Joseph County

Colon Junction

= Fairfax, 2 miles W of Colon (CFW in 1890 and 1893), cf. label for Carex bicknellii [an 1889 map shows MCRR line to Lansing crossed here].

St. Joseph County

Government Marsh

6 miles SW of Vicksburg (cf. F. W. Rapp label for Sorghastrum nutans).

St. Joseph County

Hog Creek

(First Survey in 1838; cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 242).

St. Joseph County

Pigeon or Pigeon Prairie

near White Pigeon (First Survey in August 1837); cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 243).

St. Joseph County

Sherman

= Sturgis (and Sturgis Prairie) (First Survey in 1837; cf. McVaugh 1970). [There a number of other “Sherman” sites in Michigan; cf. Romig.]

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

T

Tuscola/Bay County

Quanicassee

R. R. Dreisbach collected here (as “Quanticasse”) May 22, 1927, and Sept. 6, 1931. He labeled all his specimens as from Bay Co.; however, in his field notes he corrected nos. 5491–5499 and 7598–7602 to Tuscola Co. He left 5500–5504 and 7603–7605 as Bay Co. This distinction is also borne out by his exchange records. So it seems clear that he became aware of the proximity of the county line to this Tuscola Co. community. (Nos. 6192–6208, Aug. 26, 1928, are all unchanged as recorded, for Tuscola Co.)

V

 

 

Van Buren County

Bear Lake

EJH in 1872 (= ?Great Bear in Bloomingdale Tp. or Little Bear [= Lake 14] in Columbia Tp.; cf. Voss in Michigan Bot. 6: 14. 1967).

Van Buren/Cass County

Magician Beach

Most H. S. Pepoon labels cite Van Buren Co., but a map in his unpublished flora of Magician Lake clearly shows Magician Beach in both counties.

Van Buren County

Rogers Creek

(Nieuwland in 1919; cf. one of his collections of Taxus canadensis, ND).

Van Buren County

Sister Lakes

in the SW corner of Van Buren Co. (with Crooked Lake barely into northern Cass Co.) (L. M. Umbach in 1915 et al.). [Not to be confused with First, Second, and Third Sister Lakes in and near Ann Arbor, Washtenaw Co.]

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

W

 

 

Washtenaw County

Armbruster’s Woods

Lodi Tp. (T3S, R5E), variously cited on labels as sec. 13 or NE¼ sec. 14.

Washtenaw County

Botanical Gardens

The University of Michigan Botanical Gardens have been located at three quite different sites (other than plots as early as 1897 on the central campus and rented greenhouse space in town). Originally (1907–1916) they were (in both geography and administration) associated with the Nichols Arboretum on Geddes Ave. in the NE part of Ann Arbor. From 1916 until 1960–1961 they were located south of Stadium Blvd. between Packard Rd. and South Industrial Highway, with the entrance on Iroquois St. Since completion of the move in 1961, the unit (now named the Matthaei Botanical Gardens) has been located on Dixboro Rd. in the NE part of Ann Arbor Tp. and W part of Superior Tp., south of Plymouth Rd.

Washtenaw County

Cady’s Corner, etc.

long a popular collecting area near the former general store at intersection of Platt Rd. and Michigan Ave. (i.e., near the NW corner of sec. 26, Pittsfield Tp. (T3S, R6E). [See also Thomas Bog/woods below. I am aware of no collections from Cady (or Cady’s Corners) in sec. 30, Clinton Tp., Macomb Co., where there was a Post Office 1864–1906 (Romig).]

Washtenaw County

Cascade Glen

ravine S of Huron River near S edge sec. 17, T2S, R6E, north of Ann Arbor.

Washtenaw County

Davis Woodlot

Salem Tp., SE¼ sec. 16, T1S, R7E (cf. label for Caulophyllum thalictroides).

Washtenaw County

Dead Lake

less than 1 mile SW of Whitmore Lake (OAF 1943).

Washtenaw County

First Woods

formerly at SW corner Stadium Blvd. and Packard, Ann Arbor.

Washtenaw County

Forestry Farm

= Saginaw Forest (q.v.), Ann Arbor.

Washtenaw County

Geddes

N½ sec. 36, Ann Arbor Tp.

Washtenaw County

Hammond Woods

(OAF 1943; cf. also map in Walpole 1924).

Washtenaw County

Harwoods’ Woods

NE¼ sec. 27, Pittsfield Tp. (Ruth B. [Alford] MacFarlane coll. and pers. com. 2002); cf. also Cady’s above. Now included in the Pittsfield Preserve (of the township of the same name).

Washtenaw County

Hickory Flats

variously located (if at all) on labels ca. 1924–1925 as 5 or 6 miles south of Ann Arbor; no more precise site seems known (cf. labels, e.g., for Plantago cordata, Zanthoxylum americanum).

Washtenaw County

Irwin’s Woods

sec. 4, Sharon Tp. (T3S, R3E).

Washtenaw County

Kady’s

a misspelling on some labels = Cady’s (q.v.).

Washtenaw County

LeFurge Woods

sec. 27, T2S, R7E (Superior Tp.). A frequent collection site for OAF and others, now in the 325-acre LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve of the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy.

Washtenaw County

Lowell Mills

on Huron River in Superior Tp.; in 1850s a sawmill here, near where Ypsilanti Paper Co. was later located (coll. by F. B. H. Brown in 1901 and N. A. Harvey later ; cf. Chapman, History of Washtenaw County, pp. 1073, 1143, and 1204. 1881). [Sometimes on labels merely as “Lowell”—easily confused with the village and township of the same name in Kent Co.]

Washtenaw County

Mud Lake

ca. 2 miles SW of Whitmore Lake in Webster Tp. and now a research property of the University of Michigan (Crispin 1980); but there are 6 other Mud Lakes in the county indexed by Humphrys, not including any in R2S, R7E (Superior Tp.), as apparently mapped by Walpole (1924).

Washtenaw County

Pawpaw Woods

sec. 1, Lodi Tp. (cf. FJH labels for Populus heterophylla and Epifagus virginiana).

Washtenaw/Livingston County

Portage Lake

E. B. Mains’ 1913 collections were made at Gaige’s cottage at N end of the lake (Livingston Co.), he once told me. OAF on June 12, 1921, collected in Dexter Tp., Washtenaw Co. (cf. Pap. Mich. Acad. 2: 22 [1924] and Walpole 1924, p. 36: Scleranthus).

Washtenaw County

Randall Swamp

Ypsilanti (OAF 1943).

Washtenaw County

Saginaw Forest

80-acre tract in sec. 26, T2S, R5E, planted (starting in 1904) with diverse trees and including Third Sister Lake; administered by the University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment (originally named “The Saginaw Forestry Farm” as requested by the donor of the land, Arthur Hill of Saginaw, but not situated in Saginaw. The name was changed in 1919 to “The Saginaw Forest.”).

Washtenaw County

School Girl’s Glen

(sometimes abbreviated on labels “S. G. G.”) ravine S of Huron River and N of Forest Hill Cemetery, Ann Arbor, now in W part of Nichols Arboretum; designation once more broadly applied to the whole Arboretum area (cf. A. D. Tinker, “The birds of School Girl’s Glen, Ann Arbor, Michigan: A study in local ornithology,” Mich. Geol. Biol. Surv. Publ. 1, Biol Ser. 1: 35–66 + 4 pl. + folded map. 1910).

Washtenaw County

Sharon Hollow

mostly in sec. 29, Sharon Tp.; now the Nan Weston Preserve of The Nature Conservancy.

Washtenaw County

Superior

(OAF in 1927).

Washtenaw County

Third Sister Lake

sec. 26, T2S, R5E, in the University of Michigan’s Saginaw Forest (q.v.).

Washtenaw County

Third Woods

(J. Romein in 1915 et al.); sec. 9, Pittsfield Tp. (cf. FJH field notes for his 6833, Festuca obtusa, July 1, 1935; at that time “3 mi. S. of” Ann Arbor; now within the city limits (and including present site of the University Herbarium).

Washtenaw County

Thomas Bog/woods

SE¼ sec. 22, Pittsfield Tp.; now included in the Pittsfield Preserve (of the township of the same name). (Ruth B. [Alford] MacFarlane coll. and pers. com. 2002; cf. also Cady’s, above.)

Washtenaw County

Webb’s Woods

NW¼ sec. 22, Pittsfield Tp. (Ruth B. [Alford] MacFarlane coll. and pers. com. 2002).

Washtenaw/Livingston County

Whitmore Lake

on the county line. (OAF on July 20, 1927, nos. 8006–8019, was apparently on the Washtenaw Co. side [cf. his label for Lilium michiganense] and likewise Sept. 5, 1923, nos. 6173–6176 [cf. his field notes]; he was at the north end, in Livingston Co., on June 15, 1927, nos. 7948–7967 [cf. his field notes]).

Washtenaw County

Wiard

station on the Michigan Central RR near SW corner of sec. 1, Ypsilanti Tp. (cf. topo map for Ypsilanti quad, 1906 ed.). OAF frequently collected here and doubtless explored some distance from the station. A pioneer family, the Wiards moved from New York to Michigan in 1830 and settled on Wiard Road, founding Wiard Orchards in 1853. [In 1943 the Wiards moved their business to Merritt Rd. having sold the original site for industrial and expressway (now Interstate 94) development (cf. www.wiards.com).].

Wayne County

Bloody Run

Detroit, name changed from Parent’s Creek after a bloody battle with Indians in 1763; south of what later became Jefferson Ave. (cf. Farmer, pp. 9–10).

Wayne County

Brownstown

= Tp. (OAF in 1930).

Wayne County

Campau Woods

(pencil note in J. M. Sutton’s hand on his label for Asimina and cf. also CB label for Carya cordiformis).

Wayne County

Clay Point

island near mouth of Detroit River (B. E. Quick in 1913; cf. his letter to EGV, March 1957).

Wayne County

Connor Creek

mouth is due N of N end of Belle Isle.

Wayne County

Evergreen Cemetery

in Detroit, on S edge of Woodlawn Cemetery (q.v.).

Wayne County

Five Pts.

Redford Tp. (OAF in 1932). [P.O. here only in 1918 fide Romig.]

Wayne County

Grand River at Mill Rd.

Mill Rd. = Southfield Rd.

Wayne County

Great Lakes Engineering Plant

shipyards on the Detroit River at Ecorse (CB, Sept. 18, 1915; cf. label for Echinochloa walteri).

Wayne County

Hamilton at Belt Line

(CB).

Wayne County

Highland Park

A town now completely surrounded by Detroit; this is the Highland Park most often meant by collectors, at least from the Detroit area.

Wayne County

Hog Island

= Isle au Cochons, in 1845 renamed Belle Isle, in Detroit River; also once known as Rattlesnake Island (q.v. and cf. Beacon 18(4): 4, Winter 2000–01). [Not to be confused with Hog Island in the Beaver group, Charlevoix Co. Furthermore, ca. 7 miles E of Naubinway (Mackinac Co.) are Hog Island Creek, Hog Island Pt., Little Hog Island (in Lake Michigan), and Hog Island Rd. leading to Rexton.]

Wayne County

Indian Village

in Detroit, between Jefferson Ave. and Mack Ave. (CB in 1914).

Wayne County

Lennox Ave,

Detroit (OAF 1943).

Wayne County

Linden Park

Detroit (was in Hamtramck [Tp.] (cf. Farmer, p. 4).

Wayne County

Lothrop

(OAF on Oct. 21, 1917; CB collected same day at Grosse Pte.).

Wayne County

Mack Ave. woods

Detroit (OAF 1943; cf. also Rep. Mich. Acad. 20: 187. 1919).

Wayne County

Mama Juda Isl.

in Detroit River E of N point of Grosse Isle (cf. Farmer, p. 7, and Beacon 18(2): 8–11, Summer 2000).

Wayne/Oakland County

Mill Rd.

Southfield Rd. (OAF collections of June 23, 1920, are from Wayne Co. [OAF 1943]).

Wayne County

Mill Rd. & Grand River

 

Wayne County

Mill Rd. woods

Detroit (Redford) (cf. OAF labels for Polygonatum pubescens and also citations in Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 76–77. 1928).

Wayne County

Milwaukee Jct.

RR junction 4 miles N from Detroit station on the Grand Trunk system (cf. Mich. Man.).

Wayne County

Oakwood

site noted for halophytes, on River Rouge in sec. 28, Ecorse Tp. Originally named Navarre, renamed Oakwood in 1918, but annexed by Detroit in 1922 (Romig). (OAF, CB, et al. Sept. 23 and 30, 1916; Sept. 15, 1918; cf. Rhodora 18: 243–244 [1916] and Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 46 [1928], under Cyperus esculentus; also Sept. 30, 1930; and cf. F. B. H. Brown in Rep. Mich. Acad. 19: 219 [1918]).

Wayne County

Owen Woods

Detroit (cf. 1900 W. Cook label for Aster laevis).

Wayne County

Palmer Park

in Detroit (cf. Mich. History 65(2): 29–32, March–April 1981).

Wayne County

Rattlesnake Island

in Detroit River (cf. Beacon 18(4): 4, Winter 2000–01). [Now known as Belle Isle (cf. under Hog Island, above) and not to be confused with Rattlesnake Island in western Lake Erie, Ottawa Co., Ohio.]

Wayne County

Slocum’s Island

now incorporated in Trenton (Elizabeth Park) at the bridge to Grosse Isle in the Detroit River (cf. Romig and 1906 topo map for Wyandotte Quad.).

Wayne County

Springwells

community (north of Ecorse and east of Dearborn) and later township now incorporated in Dearborn; in 1835 Bela Hubbard (Douglass Houghton’s assistant in the First Survey 1837–1845 and a prominent citizen of Detroit) acquired a farm here from which First Survey plants labeled “Springwells” very probably came.

Wayne County [if not Ontario, Canada]

Squaw Island

location unknown (McVaugh 1970, pp. 237 and 243) but quite possibly = Mama Juda Island (q.v.) “named from an old squaw” (Farmer p. 7) (First Survey in 1837; cf. label on Lysimachia thyrsiflora). [Since the label, in the hand of Bela Hubbard, Houghton’s assistant, says “Detroit River” presumably this was not the tiny Squaw Island shown on the old Maumee Bay topo quadrangle (surveyed in 1899) between the south ends of Indian Island and Guard Island on the north side of Maumee Bay, Monroe Co. Neither of these need be confused with the Squaw Island in northern Lake Michigan, in the Beaver group (Charlevoix Co.).]

Wayne County

Water Works

on Detroit River opposite Belle Isle (OAF Sept. 24, 1900; cf. his label for 1681, Sporobolus neglectus, cited Am. Midl. Nat. 10: 24. 1926; again on Sept. 18, 1901, cf. his label for 1758a, Paspalum setaceum, and cf. Farmer, pp. 67–69).

Wayne County

Waterford

between Plymouth and Northville, in Northville Tp. (OAF on April 30, 1929, nos. 8297–8306). [Not to be confused with the better known Waterford (Tp.) in Oakland Co.]

Wayne County

Windmill Pt.

Grosse Pte., at source of Detroit River; lighthouse built here in 1838, subsequently rebuilt and replaced (cf. Beacon 18(4): 5–6. 2001–02).

Wayne County

Woodbridge Park

Dearborn (cf. OAF label for Sphenopholis intermedia, BLH).

Wayne County

Woodlawn Cemetery

Detroit, just south of Oakland Co. line and Ferndale.

Wayne County

Zug Island

Detroit River at mouth of Rouge River; originally a marshy peninsula, later isolated by a ship channel and heavily industrialized (cf. Mich. History 87(6): 59, Nov.–Dec. 2003).

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssourcesmap

Wisconsin

 

 

Door County

Detroit Island

on the S side of Washington Island; not in Michigan, just as Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, have nothing to do with Detroit, Michigan.]

Door County

Whitefish Bay

Henry Gillman and Lewis Foote collected in 1866 at Whitefish Bay, Door Co., Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan—not in Michigan at the well-known Whitefish Bay on Lake Superior. [A Whitefish Pt. is also on the S side of Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin.]

Canada (Ontario)

 

 

Essex County

Fighting Island

in Detroit River

Essex County

Isle aux Pêches

(CFW in 1892, etc.; cf. Peach I. below).

Essex County

Peach [orig. Pêche] Island

E (upstream) of Belle Isle, at source of Detroit River (cf. Farmer, p. 7)].

Lambton County

Squirrel Isl.

in mouth of St. Clair River.

Lambton County

Walpole Island

at mouth of St. Clair River.

back to top

search by place name

abbreviationssources