LIST SORTED BY PLACE NAME [return to MICH databases]
County map of Michigan
[opens new window]
Mines: Locating old mine-sites can be a problem, but some early botanists did collect at such locations. (Some mining operations imported physicians from New England, and some of these—as was common in that day—collected plants. James Watson Robbins is perhaps the most prolific of the physicians who collected in the “Copper Country” [see Voss 1978, p. 77].) Many old mine locations are indicated to this day on county maps, sometimes as names of associated settlements (or ghost towns). The locations of some early copper mines listed here are taken from a “Tabular Statement of the Mines in the Lake Superior Land District” (in Foster & Whitney 1850, pp. 146–151); not all sites were verified.
A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   Y   Z

A

 

 

Adams tamarack

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Malaxis monophylla, Carex brunnescens, C. canescens, C. trisperma).

Adams, G., tamarack swamp

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1842 label for Carex disperma).

Adams, Geo., meadow

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845–1846 labels for Carex alopecoidea and Poa palustris).

Adams, John

Macomb County

ca. 1 mi N of Disco, Shelby Tp.

Adventure Mine
[see note]

Ontonagon County

SW¼ sec. 35, T58N, R38W [evident error for T51N (the indicated tp. does not exist)].

Agricultural College

Ingham County

often abbreviated “Agrl. Coll.” and in other ways, including “M. A. C.” It was founded in 1855, became Michigan State College in 1925, and Michigan State University in 1955; the name of the community officially became East Lansing in 1907. Consider also College Woods, College Farm, etc.; and see also entries for Chandler’s Marsh, Michigan State Col., and Towar’s Swamp below.

Albion Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

sec. 11, T57N, R32W.

Alger’s Camp

Alcona County

a “short distance west from Mud Lake” (q.v.) [= Barton City] (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 30).

Allen’s Pinery

Kent County

=East St. Pinery in Grand Rapids (cf. EJC label for Monotropa hypopithys).

Alverno

Cheboygan County

located on the Black River, not the Cheboygan R. as stated by Romig.

Anderson’s Pond

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Andrews

Macomb County

H. Andrews property in Shelby [Tp., sec. 4] (cf. DC label for Aster lanceolatus).

Andrews Lake

Oakland County?

OAF collected on the same dates in Waterford Tp., Pontiac, and Bloomfield, all in Oakland Co.—but this lake is not on any map I have located; he cited the lake without county in Am. Midl. Nat. 9: 261. 1925.

Arethusa Bog

Houghton County

0.5 mile N of Laurium (cf. FJH label for Carex flava). [Note that S. H. Camp collected 1891–1893 at an Arethusa Swamp “near Clark’s Lake” in Jackson Co.]

Armbruster’s Woods

Washtenaw County

Lodi Tp. (T3S, R5E), variously cited on labels as sec. 13 or NE¼ sec. 14.

Ashery brook

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Agrostis gigantea).

Axford farm

Oakland County

Long John Axford farm, Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex lasiocarpa).

Axford, J. S.

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Lithospermum caroliniense).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

B

 

Bailey Lake

Kent County

“4 miles east of Grand Rapids” (cf. CWB 1940 label for Lysimachia terrestris; his locality is in accord with the map in Cole 1901 although this lake is unnamed on the 1914 topo map for Grand Rapid quad.: NW¼ sec. 25, Grand Rapids Tp.; however, that lake is now shown as East Lake on maps.) [Other maps (both recent and 1918 topo for Lowell quad.) show Bailey Lake in sec. 19 of Vergennes Tp., mapped by EJC (1901) as Long Lake. Since Miss Cole had attended high school in Vergennes and later taught there for four years, the discrepancy is especially odd; Bailey School was across the road from the lake, which suggests some authenticity to the name in that tp.]

Baldwin’s

Oakland County

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex pseudocyperus).

Bangham Rd. Woods

Jackson County

sec. 3, T2S, R3W (E. A. Stowell in 1956–1960 et al., ALBC)).

Bardings

Montmorency County

SW corner sec. 8, T30N, R1E (Case in 1956 etc.).

Barley Motors

Kalamazoo County

sec. 4/5, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his labels for Melampyrum lineare and Lysimachia lanceolata).

Bassett’s Island

Grand Traverse County

on NE side of Marion (Ford) Island (CFW in 1898).

Bates farm

Macomb County

John Bates farm, Washington [Tp.] (cf. Cooley label for Potamogeton gramineus).

Bear Lake

Manistee County

EJH in 1880.

Bear Lake

Van Buren County

EJH in 1872 (= ?Great Bear in Bloomingdale Tp. or Little Bear [= Lake 14] in Columbia Tp.; cf. Voss in Michigan Bot. 6: 14. 1967).

Beaver Island

Keweenaw County

Besides the well-known island in Lake Michigan [Charlevoix Co.], note that this is also the old name for Manitou Island in Lake Superior off the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula [Keweenaw Co.] (cf. Lt. James Allen’s journal for June 15, 1832 [Mason 1958, p. 175]). There are yet other Beaver Islands in Minnesota: in Lake Superior (Lake Co., a flora by Lakela in Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 75: 265–271. 1948) and in the Mississippi River at St. Cloud (cf. Minnesota Conservation Volunteer Sept.–Oct. 1976, p. 16).

Belle Isle

Keweenaw County

this tiny island (with National Park campground) on the northwest side of Isle Royale was so-named in 1915 (Parratt & Welker), and formerly had a resort and post office. [It should not be confused with the much better-known and thoroughly developed Belle Isle (named in 1845) in the Detroit River (Wayne Co.); cf. Mich. History 87(6): 5–19, Nov.–Dec. 2003.]

Benedict Marsh

Oakland County

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex buxbaumii and Hierochloë odorata).

Bennett Brook

Macomb County

SW 35, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Callitriche verna).

Besser Natural Area

Presque Isle County

in sec. 13 and 14, T33N, R8E at Bolton Pt.

Bessey Creek

Cheboygan County

= Lancaster Creek of maps, flowing into the NW part of Douglas Lake (UMBS).

Big Traverse Bay

Houghton County

(OAF 1943; cf. also Traverse Bay, below).

Birchwood

Berrien County

just SW of Warren Dunes (CKD collected here in 1917).

Black Pool (Meadow)

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Black River

Gogebic County

this is the Black River of Henry Gillman in 1868, flowing into Lake Superior west of the Presque Isle River and Porcupine Mts. State Park (cf. Peters in Mich. Academician 18: 426. 1986). [There are several other Black Rivers in Michigan, e.g., in Alcona, Allegan, Muskegon (C. D. McLouth coll.), Ottawa (see below), St. Clair (C. K. Dodge coll.), Sanilac, and Van Buren counties. The Black River in Cheboygan Co. flows from Black Lake into the Cheboygan River near its mouth, but the name is also carelessly applied to the Upper Black River, which arises in Otsego Co. and flows through small portions of Montmorency and Presque Isle counties before finally entering Black Lake in Cheboygan Co.]

Black River

Ottawa County

The river and the Black Lake into which it flows were changed to Macatawa River and Macatawa Lake in 1974 and 1935, respectively.

Blanchard Lake (or “Bog”)

Cheboygan County

= Mud Lake of maps in secs. 21 and 28, T38N, R3W (UMBS).

Blockhouse

Oscoda County

on Blockhouse Creek, NE¼ sec. 12, T26N, R4E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 34).

Bloody Run

Wayne County

Detroit, name changed from Parent’s Creek after a bloody battle with Indians in 1763; south of what later became Jefferson Ave. (cf. Farmer, pp. 9–10).

Bodies Creek Meadow

Keweenaw County

the creek flows into Eagle River at Phoenix (OAF 1943).

Bohemia, Mt.

Keweenaw County

sec. 29, T58N, R29W.

Bohemian Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

SE¼ sec. 29, T58N, R29W.

Bois Blanc Island

Mackinac County

CB collected here in 1914 and 1916 (cf. labels for Taxus canadensis, Salix cordata, etc.) as did others in other years, including S. H. Camp in the 1890s. CB also collected in 1914 at the island of the same name [also often corrupted to “BobLo”—to which it was officially changed in 1949] in the Detroit River, on the Canadian side of the International border and hence in Essex Co., Ontario (cf. his label for Physalis longifolia and also Farmer, pp. 7–8).

Bootjack

Houghton County

sec. 20, T55N, R32W.

Botanical Gardens

Washtenaw County

The University of Michigan Botanical Gardens have been located at three quite different sites (other than plots as early as 1897 on the central campus and rented greenhouse space in town). Originally (1907–1916) they were (in both geography and administration) associated with the Nichols Arboretum on Geddes Ave. in the NE part of Ann Arbor. From 1916 until 1960–1961 they were located south of Stadium Blvd. between Packard Rd. and South Industrial Highway, with the entrance on Iroquois St. Since completion of the move in 1961, the unit (now named the Matthaei Botanical Gardens) has been located on Dixboro Rd. in the NE part of Ann Arbor Tp. and W part of Superior Tp., south of Plymouth Rd.

Bowery Park

Lake County

on Big Star Lake (CWB in 1947 etc.).

Brandt Woods

Calhoun County

in sec. 7–8, T2S, R4W (Sheridan Tp.), N of Winnipeg Lake.

Bridge St. Ferry, West

Ottawa County

west of Grand Rapids, sec. 20, Tallmadge Tp. (EJC).

Brigham Lake

Calhoun County

in the Ott Preserve (q.v.); on county maps as Blackley Lake.

Brown Marsh

Kalamazoo County

short distance S of Patton’s marsh (q.v.) (CRH, cf. his Flora p. 159).

Brown tamarack

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex hystericina and C. tenera).

Brown’s

Macomb County

Saul Brown’s, Shelby [Tp., sec. 3] (cf. DC label for Aster lanceolatus).

Brown’s West Woods

Kalamazoo County

E. L. Brown’s, sec. 22, Prairie Ronde Tp. (CRH; E. L. Brown located in Schoolcraft, Hanes 1947, p. 224 under Datura).

Brownstown

Wayne County

= Brownstown Tp. (OAF in 1930).

Bryant’s Bog

Cheboygan County

very near Douglas Lake in sec. 29, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Budrow’s Marsh

Kalamazoo County

sec. 4, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his 1934 label for Quercus coccinea; his Flora locates Budrow’s farm (p. 253) as “east of Sugarloaf Lake”—which could conceivably be near the oak site).

Burlingham’s field

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. 1852 DC label for Salix bebbiana).

Burton

Genesee County

presumably Burton Tp. (D. Clarke in 1866).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

C

 

 

C. & H. Stamp Mills

Houghton County

on shore of Torch Lake at Lake Linden (OAF, many collections) (cf. Benedict, Red Metal: The Calumet & Hecla Story, pp. 116 and 188. 1952. [The C. & H. company was long the leading copper producer on Lake Superior. Cf. also Clifton, below.]

Cable Lake

Cass County

sec. 5, T5S, R16W [for no apparent reason the name has been dropped on some recent county maps].

Cady’s Corner, etc.

Washtenaw County

long a popular collecting area near the former general store at intersection of Platt Rd. and Michigan Ave. (i.e., near the NW corner of sec. 26, Pittsfield Tp. (T3S, R6E). [See also Thomas Bog/woods below. I am aware of no collections from Cady (or Cady’s Corners) in sec. 30, Clinton Tp., Macomb Co., where there was a Post Office 1864–1906 (Romig).]

Camp 5

Menominee County

(cf. CAD 1905 label for Physalis virginiana).

Camp 6

Iron County

1.5 miles N of Mansfield (cf. Rep. Geol. Surv. Mich. for 1906, p. 30 and CAD 1905 label for Cynoglossum boreale).

Camp 7

Charlevoix County

4.5 miles NW of Vanderbilt [which is in Otsego Co.] (EAB in 1912).

Camp 7

Menominee County

ca. 1 mile W of Faithorn, Menominee River (cf. Mich. Man. 1905, p. 162, Menominee River station on the Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Sault Ste. Marie RR, and CAD 1905 labels for Agropyron smithii and Carex granularis).

Camp 8

Charlevoix County

NW¼ sec. 19, T33N, R4W (EAB in 1912; cf. his labels for Abies balsamea and Hackelia virginiana).

Camp 9

Dickinson County

near Waucedah (CAD in 1905).

Camp Blodgett

Ottawa County

sec. 28, Grand Haven Tp.

Camp meeting ground

Macomb County

Bruce [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845 label for Carex tenera).

Campau Woods

Wayne County

(pencil note in J. M. Sutton’s hand on his label for Asimina and cf. also CB label for Carya cordiformis).

Camps [see Davis, Peter White, Roth, below]

 

 

Canal

Houghton County

(OAF 1943).

Canfield’s Farm

Manistee County

now within the southwestern city limits of Manistee; type locality for Potamogeton hillii (cf. Morong label, 14 Aug. 1882, NY, “pool on Canfield’s farm, near Manistee”). [The property was acquired by the Manistee Country Club in the late 1880s and the two pools were drained (letter of Sept. 28, 1959, from C. N. Russell, president of Manistee County Historical Society, to EGV, quoted in Mich. Bot. 4: 13–14. 1965). Not the same as Canfield Lake, 3 miles to the southeast.]

Cannon’s farm

Macomb County

J. Cannon’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1850 label for Agrostis gigantea).

Caribou Island

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

East and West Caribou Islands are immediately SW of Mott Island in the Isle Royale archipelago (only known site—which of the two was not stated—for Antennaria rosea in Michigan). [Should not be confused with the larger and more remote Caribou Island in eastern Lake Superior, Ontario, Canada.]

Carlton

Monroe County

= Carleton (cf. CFW label for Uvularia sessilifolia).

Carpenter’s

Macomb County

Simon Carpenter’s meadow (cf. DC 1845 label for Ranunculus acris [no tp. indicated]).

Cascade Glen

Washtenaw County

ravine S of Huron River near S edge sec. 17, T2S, R6E, north of Ann Arbor.

Cedar Creek Valley

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Central House

Benzie County

in Inland Tp. (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 64, note 89).

Central Mine

Keweenaw County

in SE¼ sec. 23, T58N, R31W (J. W. Robbins in 1861 and 1863).

Chamberlain Mill

Oakland County

DC in 1839, probably SW¼ sec. 1, Addison Tp.—but marsh 1 mile E (cf. 1839 label for Carex lacustris) would be in Sec. 6, Bruce Tp., Macomb Co.).

Chamberlin Marsh

Oakland County

Addison [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex tetanica var. meadii).

Chandler’s Marsh

Clinton County

over 3000 acres once owned by Zachariah Chandler, U.S. Senator from Michigan (bought by him from the Agricultural College, fide Ceasar 1978 p. 27–28); the marsh mostly in Clinton Co., incl. all portions near the RR (cf. soils map), but the S part does extend into Ingham Co. (cf. 1933 soils map). Chandler Farm was “3 miles N of M.A.C.” [Mich. Agric. College] (cf. CFW 1901 label for Senecio pauperculus; cf. also Mich. History 65(3): 10, May–June 1981, and esp. 82(6): 52–53, Nov.–Dec. 1998).

Christianna Lake

Cass County

(J. A. Nieuwland in 1924 etc.).

Clark Lake

Jackson County

of the 15 Michigan lakes bearing this name, the one in Jackson Co. (Columbia Tp., P.O. as “Clarklake” 1896– ) is the type locality for Betula ×purpusii Schneider; however, Clark Lake in Livingston Co. = the “Mont Lake” (q.v.) of Mary Clark .

Clark Mine

Keweenaw County

E½ sec. 4, T58N, R28W (OAF).

Clay Point

Wayne County

island near mouth of Detroit River (B. E. Quick in 1913; cf. his letter to EGV, March 1957).

Cliff Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

SW¼ sec. 36, T58N, R32W.

Clifton (or Cliff)

Keweenaw County

village at the great Cliff Mine site, nearly 3 miles SW of Eagle River (with shafts in several sections, including sec. 36, T58N, R32W, and adjacent sec. 1, T57N). Oliver A. Farwell (father of the botanist) was agent in charge of the mine from 1871 (coming from the nearby Phoenix Mine) until his death in 1881. OAF the botanist collected extensively in the Cliff area. [It is no coincidence that Hervey Parke, who handled the business records for the Cliff Mine 1852–1863, was founder of the Parke, Davis firm, which employed the botanist Farwell from 1892 until his retirement in 1933.] The Cliff lands were purchased by Calumet & Hecla (q.v., as “C. & H.”) in 1909. (For much information, cf. Chaput, The Cliff: America’s First Great Copper Mine, p. 55. 1971.)

Clifton Marsh

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Eleocharis rostellata, Poa languida, Carex buxbaumii, etc.).

Clifton Mill Pond

Macomb County

sec. 6, Washington Tp.

Coalpit Hill

Chippewa County

Sault Ste. Marie [Zina Pitcher collected Adenocaulon bicolor here June 24, 1826, but his label [MICH] does not indicate whether it was from the U.S. or the Canadian side. R. D. Williams in 1905, The Honorable Peter White, p. 95 in chapter on “Sault Ste. Marie before the Canal,” describing an 1847 incident, implied the U.S. side and referred to “outside of the Sault on Coalpit hill” where a traveler from Mackinaw to the Sault waited en route to James Schoolcraft’s store in the fort. Bernard Arbic (pers. comm., 1995) notes that a letter from John Johnston in 1879 refers to a homestead “about three miles from the Sault & a mile and a quarter from the river on Coal Pit Hill, commanding the view of both channels ..”; Dr. Arbic also notes that some old property deeds suggest that the site was south of the present campus of Lake Superior State University, on the east side of the Michigan Meridian.]

Col. George’s Estate

Oakland County

sec. 17, Bloomfield Tp. [Not to be confused with the E. S. George Reserve, given by Col. George in 1930 to the University of Michigan, in Livingston Co.]

College [see Agricultural College]

 

 

Colon Junction

St. Joseph County

= Fairfax, 2 miles W of Colon (CFW in 1890 and 1893), cf. label for Carex bicknellii [an 1889 map shows MCRR line to Lansing crossed here].

Comins

Oscoda County

Comins’ farm (CFW et al. in 1888), on N side of Au Sable River west of Comins Creek, in sec. 11, T26N, R3E (cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 36, note 44); the later community of Comins is 10 miles to the north.

Connor Creek

Wayne County

mouth is due N of N end of Belle Isle.

Conservation Park

Gratiot County

S of Alma in sec. 4, T11N, R3W.s

Copper Falls Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

SE¼ sec. 11, T58N, R31W.

Cordell

Chippewa County

1 mile W of Spur 459 (q.v.).

Cornell’s

Schoolcraft County

W. T. S. Cornell’s farm near Hiawatha (cf. CKD label for Polygonum persicaria).

Cove, The

Oakland County

on Lakeville Lake (cf. CB in Pap. Mich. Acad. 11: 51–73. 1930).

Cranberry Marsh

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Crisman’s

Macomb County

Jack Crisman’s land, Washington [Tp., presumably sec. 22 or 27] (cf. DC 1840 label for Aster lateriflorus).

Crooked Pond

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (probably = what now is Crooked Lake, in sec. 5—a natural lake with a dam, fide Humphrys; cf. DC 1843 label for Carex viridula).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

D

 

 

Davis Lake

Montcalm County

the pool in Vestaburg Bog (q.v.). [This is not any of the 12 Davis Lakes in Humphrys.]

Davis Woodlot

Washtenaw County

Salem Tp., SE¼ sec. 16, T1S, R7E (cf. label for Caulophyllum thalictroides).

Davis, Camp

Cheboygan County

on S shore of South Fishtail Bay, Douglas Lake [Univ. of Michigan engineering camp established in 1909 and named for J. B. Davis in 1916; in 1929 the engineers (surveyors) moved to Wyoming and the Biological Station, established in 1909 immediately east of Camp Davis, moved to the site of the latter.]

Davis, L.

Macomb County?

(DC in 1837, cf. label for Rumex crispus); later plats show property of many Davises in Macomb Co., including Washington Tp., but the earlier of them show no L. Davis.

Dead Lake

Washtenaw County

less than 1 mile SW of Whitmore Lake (OAF 1943).

Deer Lick

Ionia County

“2 mi. n.w. of Hubbardston Ionia Co.” (CFW, cf. labels for Scirpus olneyi and Eleocharis parvula).

DeGroff meadow

Macomb County?

(DC in 1853, Elymus virginicus); the DeGroff name is on old plat maps in Ray Tp. and Hezekiah DeGroff built a sawmill 2 ½ miles E of Davis [= Brooklyn] in Ray Tp. (cf. Eldredge, Past & Present of Macomb County, 1905)—but DC label offers no clue as to tp. or even county.

Detroit Island

Door Co., Wisconsin

on the S side of Washington Island; not in Michigan, just as Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, have nothing to do with Detroit, Michigan.]

Detroit Zoo

Oakland County

sec. 21, T1N, R11E (ca. 2 miles SW of Royal Oak); not in Wayne Co., as labels are often misinterpreted because of the word “Detroit” (J. M. Sutton in 1916 (cf. his report in Rep. Mich. Acad. 19: 263–271. 1918).

Devil’s Washtub

Keweenaw County

SE¼ sec. 25, T59N, R29W (ca. 2 miles W of Copper Harbor).

Dewey’s

Oakland County

Dewey’s in Oakland [Tp.] (DC in 1847, Polygonum amphibium).

Douglas Farm

Kent County

Fallassburg (CWF in 1886, cf. label for Arabis lyrata).

Douglass Houghton [see Houghton].

 

 

Douglass Houghton Mine
[see note]

Ontonagon County

NW¼ sec. 15, T51N, R37W.

Draper School

Jackson County

SW corner sec. 29, Rives Tp. (Camp in 1893; cf. 1926 soils map).

Duck Lake

Muskegon County

at Michillinda (H. C. Cowles in 1906, cf. label for Lemna minor). [A State Park is now on the north side of this lake, with frontage also on Lake Michigan. There are about 30 other Duck Lakes in Michigan.]

Due West

Oakland County

an interurban station “near Rochester” (cf. OAF in Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 49 [1928], under Carex richardsonii).

Duns Scotus Coll.

Oakland County

Southfield.

Dutton’s

Cheboygan County

Topinabee (M. Freeman in 1888, cf. her label for Monotropa uniflora).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

E

 

 

Eagle Isle

Charlevoix County

= Old Island in Round Lake, Charlevoix harbor (cf. letter from William Ratigan to EGV, Nov. 8, 1968). (J. A. Drushel et al. in 1914 and 1915, MO). [N.B.: there is also an Eagle Island in Walloon Lake.]

East Bluff

Keweenaw County

in sec. 1, T58N, R28W and nearby (see also Vulcan, below).

East Lake

Cheboygan County

= the eastern of Twin Lakes of maps, in sec. 7, T38N, R3W (UMBS).

East Point

Cheboygan County

E side of Douglas Lake at beginning of North Fishtail Bay (UMBS).

Economou farm

Isabella County

sec. 31, T13N, R5W (cf. labels at ALMA).

Edgewater Park

St. Clair County

at Algonac (OAF) .

Edgewood

Grand Traverse County

(CFW in 1898; just E of Traverse City).

Edgewood

Houghton County

apparently at Lake Linden (OAF 1943; he collected at Edgewood several times in 1941 and 1942).

Edwards Prairie

Cass County

near Edwardsburgh (First Survey, Aug. 1838; cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 242).

8-mile Creek

Gogebic County

west side of Gogebic Lake (EAB in 1919); (cf. label for Juncus dudleyi).

Entry

Houghton County

= Portage Entry (from Lake Superior to Portage River and Lake), near Jacobsville.

Esrey Park

Keweenaw County

on Agate Harbor, ca. 5 miles E of Eagle Harbor.

Eureka

Houghton County

near Laurium (FJH in 1922–1926).

Evergreen Cemetery

Wayne County

in Detroit, on S edge of Woodlawn Cemetery (q.v.).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

F

 

 

Farwell, Mt.

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Feeding Ground Lake

Marquette County

SE¼ sec. 31, T45N, R25W. [There are also Big and Little Feeding Ground lakes in Ogemaw Co. (Locke in 1941).]

Felt-boot factory

Kent County

source of wool refuse used for fertilizer on the Phillips farm in sec. 19, Paris Tp., apparently introducing a number of species from the Southwest (cf. EJC 1901, p. 160 &, e.g., her labels for Erigeron flagellaris, Verbesina encelioides, Chrysopsis villosa, and also Mich. Flora 3: 380. 1996).

Fernwood

Berrien County

private nature center on E side of St. Joseph River in sec. 13, T7S, R18W.

Fighting Island

Essex Co. Ontario, Canada

in Detroit River

First Woods

Washtenaw County

formerly at SW corner Stadium Blvd. and Packard, Ann Arbor.

Five Lakes

Muskegon County

a group of five drying lakes/hollows strongly dependent on water tables, in southwest part of Eggleston Tp. (T10N, R15W); Carr Lake is the largest (and the only one with a name—that once reportedly encompassed all); cf. McLouth in 1900, Scirpus hallii, et al. Part of the area is now a sanctuary of the Michigan Nature Association. [I know of no plant collections from Five Lakes, formerly a settlement and P.O. in Lapeer Co.; cf. Romig.]

Five Pts.

Wayne County

Redford Tp. (OAF in 1932). [P.O. here only in 1918 fide Romig.]

Five-mile Pt.

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Flanders meadow

Oakland County

Avon [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex tenera).

Flint Steel River

Ontonagon County

 

Floodwood

Schoolcraft County

sec. 14, T43N, R14W, on the Manistique River (CKD in 1915; cf. Mich. Geol. Biol. Surv. Publ. 31, p. 75. 1921). [Not to be confused with a Floodwood in NW Dickinson Co., from which no plant collections have been seen.]

Flummerfelt’s

Oakland County

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC 1848 label for Muhlenbergia glomerata). [The old 223-acre farmstead was cleared for development early in 2004.]

Forest Mine
[see note]

Ontonagon County

SW¼ sec. 30, T50N, R39W.

Forestry Farm

Washtenaw County

= Saginaw Forest (q.v.), Ann Arbor.

Fork Township

Mecosta County

(S. Lane Wilson in 1961–1978, MSC).

Forsyth Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

SE¼ sec. 33, T57N, R32W.

Fraser’s Grove

Kalamazoo County

southeast of Vicksburg (cf. CRH 1947, p. 127).

Frazer’s (or Fraser’s)

Crawford County

SW¼ NW¼ sec. 26, T27N, R1W, on North Branch of the Au Sable River (Voss & Crow 1976, p. 40); sometimes erroneously attributed to Oscoda Co. (CFW et al. in 1888).

Fruit Belt

Kalamazoo County

old RR line in NW part of Texas Tp. (cf. CRH label for Tephrosia virginiana).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

G

 

 

Galien River

Berrien County

river is entirely in the county.

Garden City

Keweenaw County

old mine site near Eagle River (OAF 1943; coll. 1886, 1940, etc.). [Not the Garden City in Wayne Co., W of Dearborn.]

Gates Bog

Cheboygan County

sec. 22, T37N R3W (UMBS).

Geddes

Washtenaw County

N½ sec. 36, Ann Arbor Tp.

Gleason’s Bog

Cheboygan County

just E of Bryant’s Bog (q.v.) (UMBS).

Glenn Island

Ingham County

in Grand River just S of Grand Trunk RR bridge in Lansing (cf. Foster 1942, p. 492).

Glenn Pier

Allegan County

W of Glenn, NW¼ sec. 31, Ganges Tp.(C. H. Kauffman in 1910 and associated by him with South Haven; cf. Mich. Manual maps).

Goff Plains

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex muhlenbergii, Bromus kalmii, Pyrola rotundifolia).

Goguac Lake

Calhoun County

SW of Battle Creek (E. L. Greene in 1902, ND-G).

Gorge

Cheboygan County

ravine at source of Carp Creek in sec. 33, R37N R3W (UMBS).

Government Marsh

St. Joseph County

6 miles SW of Vicksburg (cf. F. W. Rapp label for Sorghastrum nutans).

Grand Marais

Alger or Keweenaw County

harbor (so known since 1660) and village in Alger Co.; a less well-known harbor E of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw Co.). [There is also a third Grand Marais on Lake Superior, in Cook Co., northeasternmost Minnesota.]

Grand River at Mill Rd.

Wayne County

Mill Rd. = Southfield Rd.

Grand Traverse Bay [see Traverse Bay and Little Traverse Bay]

 

 

Grapevine Pt.

Cheboygan County

W of South Fishtail Bay in Douglas Lake, sec. 28, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Gratiot Range

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Gratiot River

Keweenaw County

(Lewis Foote in 1865). [A county park is now at the river mouth.]

Graveraet River

Houghton County

mouth on Lake Superior SW of Salmon Trout River (cf. also Peters in Mich. Hist. Rev. 27(1): 82–85. 1991).

Great Lakes Engineering Plant

Wayne County

shipyards on the Detroit River at Ecorse (CB, Sept. 18, 1915; cf. label for Echinochloa walteri).

Green

Ontonagon County

(Pammel & Fisk in 1926; but there are other Green(e)s in Michigan).

Green Star Trail

Cheboygan County

crosses secs. 34 and 35, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Green’s

Macomb County

Lazarus Green’s (DC in 1839), sec. 28, Washington Tp. (cf. county history).

Greenwood Park

Berrien County

sec. 21, Hagar Tp.

Gregoryville

Houghton County

also Gregory Springs (OAF). Gregory was at the N end of Torch Lake, opposite Lake Linden (cf. old Calumet quad. topo map).

Gull Prairie

Kalamazoo County

near Richland (which formerly bore this name; First Survey in 1838; cf. McVaugh 1970 and Romig).

Gull Rock

Keweenaw County

off the west end of Manitou Island (cf. Beacon 20(2): 8–10, Summer 2002 and 20(3): 21, Fall 2002). [Not to be confused with Gull Islands NE of Passage Island, Isle Royale Natl. Park.]

Gun Lake

Allegan/Barry County

less than 3% of the area of this lake is in Allegan Co.; the rest is in Barry Co., including the large peninsula in the lake, where some collections have specifically been made. However, the Post Office of the same name (closed in 1905) is listed as in Allegan Co., presumably because the mail came via Shelbyville in that county. “Gun Lake” collections almost certainly are from Barry Co.—where also Yankee Springs State Park now has frontage on the lake.

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

H

 

 

Haddon

Macomb County

sec. 23, Washington Tp.

Hamilton at Belt Line

Wayne County

(CB).

Hammond Woods

Washtenaw County

(OAF 1943; cf. also map in Walpole 1924).

Harwoods’ Woods

Washtenaw County

NE¼ sec. 27, Pittsfield Tp. (Ruth B. [Alford] MacFarlane coll. and pers. com. 2002); cf. also Cady’s above. Now included in the Pittsfield Preserve (of the township of the same name).

Hayes Pt.

Keweenaw County

at Copper Harbor (cf. map in Mich. History 61: 225. 1977).

Hazel

Houghton County

probably near Lake Linden (OAF Oct. 7, 1934; attributed to Houghton Co. by OAF in Am. Fern Jour. 27: 12. 1937).

Hebard Park

Keweenaw County

county park, sec. 26, T59N, R29W.

Hemlock Island

Cass County

in Magician Lake (cf. H. S. Pepoon’s labels).

Henry’s Woods

Bay County

in Bay City (fide annotation in unknown hand on 1894 G. M. Bradford specimen of Uvularia grandiflora at MSC).

Hermit’s

Cheboygan County

in Reese’s Bog (q.v.), sec. 5, T36N, R3W (UMBS).

Hersey’s

Oakland County

James Hersey’s mill pond, Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC 1852 label for Carex richardsonii). [But Romig locates James Hersey’s sawmill, built in 1824, in Avon Tp.—which was not separated from Oakland Tp. until 1835, while other sources locate it, built in 1819, more precisely in S½ sec. 10, Avon Tp.]

Hickory Flats

Washtenaw County

variously located (if at all) on labels ca. 1924–1925 as 5 or 6 miles south of Ann Arbor; no more precise site seems known (cf. labels, e.g., for Plantago cordata, Zanthoxylum americanum).

Hidden Lake Gardens

Lenawee County

in Franklin Tp., ca. 2 miles W of Tipton.

Highland Park

Kent County

a municipal park of this name is in Grand Rapids, north of the Grand Trunk RR and east of the Grand River.

Highland Park

Ottawa County

a resort at Grand Haven (Mary B. Fallass in 1893–1896, etc.). [The elegant 19th century Highland Park Hotel was destroyed by fire in December of 1967.]

Highland Park

Wayne County

A town now completely surrounded by Detroit; this is the Highland Park most often meant by collectors, at least from the Detroit area.

Hill’s Creek

Keweenaw County

mouth on Lake Superior ca. 1 mile SW of Gratiot River (cf. Lewis Foote 1865 label for Ranunculus reptans). [Sometimes corrupted to “Mill Creek” on maps.]

Hill’s pond

Macomb County

(DC in 1845), N½ SW¼ sec. 27, Ray Tp. (cf. 1859 map).

Hog Creek

St. Joseph County

(First Survey in 1838; cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 242).

Hog Island

Wayne County

= Isle au Cochons, in 1845 renamed Belle Isle, in Detroit River; also once known as Rattlesnake Island (q.v. and cf. Beacon 18(4): 4, Winter 2000–01). [Not to be confused with Hog Island in the Beaver group, Charlevoix Co. Furthermore, ca. 7 miles E of Naubinway (Mackinac Co.) are Hog Island Creek, Hog Island Pt., Little Hog Island (in Lake Michigan), and Hog Island Rd. leading to Rexton.]

Hogback Rd.

Cheboygan County

on the high ground above N end of Reese’s Bog (q.v.) (UMBS).

Holland

Allegan/Ottawa County

32nd St. is the county line: higher numbers are in Allegan Co., lower numbers in Ottawa Co.

Hoop Lake

Cheboygan County

near center N edge sec. 2, T36N, R1E; a bog near (but not connected with) the marl-forming chain of Twin Lakes (UMBS).

Hosner Marsh

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (DC in 1843 etc.; but most Hosner properties were in Bruce Tp. fide plat maps).

Houghton, Douglass, Creek

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Houghton, Douglass, Falls

Houghton County

ca. 1 mile NW of Lake Linden.

Houghton, Mt.

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Howell Junction

Livingston County

= Annpere, ca. 1 mile SE of Howell.

Hubbardston

Ionia County

note that the village borders on Clinton Co. and specimens may be from that county. Erwin F. Smith’s home was 3.5 miles E of Hubbardston and thus well into Clinton Co. [See also entry for Deer Lick.]

Hunter’s Point

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

I

 

 

Incline

Houghton County

a frequent collection site for OAF; “the Lake Linden terminus of the railroad from which the rock cars were switched to the rope-controlled inclined-plane railway leading to the stamp mills and the docks.”—C. Harry Benedict, Red Metal: The Calumet & Hecla Story, p. 116. 1952.

Indian Village

Wayne County

in Detroit, between Jefferson Ave. and Mack Ave. (CB in 1914).

Ingleside

Cheboygan County

resort area on NW side of Douglas Lake, near Bessey Creek (q.v.) in sec. 17, T37N R3W (UMBS).

Iron River

Ontonagon County

just west of Silver City (H. Gillman in 1868); not the outlet of Lake Independence in Marquette Co., nor the community in Iron Co. Little Iron River of Gillman is just a mile farther west.

Irwin’s Woods

Washtenaw County

sec. 4, Sharon Tp. (T3S, R3E).

Island Lake

Livingston County

(OAF July 16, 1905; CFW May 31, 1898) [there are ca. 30 other Island Lakes in Michigan].

Isle aux Pêches

Essex Co., Ontario, Canada

(CFW in 1892, etc.; cf. Peach I. below).

Isle Royale Mine

Houghton County

just south of Houghton [not on Isle Royale, although there was an “Isle Royale and Ohio Mine” there].

Isle Royale Stamp Mill

Houghton County; Marquette County

moved in late 1880s from Houghton [Houghton Co.] to Republic [Marquette Co.] (cf. Mich. History 53: 115. 1969).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

J

 

 

Jam One

Kalkaska County

original name for Sharon (changed when a Post Office was established), where the North Branch of the Manistee River flows into the Manistee, near NW corner of T25N, R6W (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, pp. 54–55).

Jenison Park

Ottawa County

W end of Lake Macatawa (fide 1932 county map).

Jennings

Missaukee County

in Lake Tp., Missaukee Co., but in 1922 most of the town was moved 11 miles west to Cadillac in Wexford Co. (cf. Chronicle 22(2): 13, July–Aug. 1986).

Junior

Oakland County

(OAF collected here and at Harris July 13, 1918)

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

K

 

 

Kady’s

Washtenaw County

a misspelling on some labels = Cady’s (q.v.).

Kapp, G. W.

Macomb County

wheat field, meadow, Washington [Tp.] (DC, cf. 1845 labels for Carex tenera and C. formosa).

Keeler Marsh

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (DC in 1839 and 1849, cf. labels for Carex lanuginosa and C. sartwellii).

Keeler’s, N.

Macomb County

sec. 21 and 28, Washington Tp. (fide 1859 plat map). [Not the crossroads of Keeler in Van Buren Co.]

Keweenaw Point

Houghton/Keweenaw County

Most 19th century collectors did not restrict this “Point” to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, as modern maps show it, but included at least the northern portion of Houghton Co. (or even parts of Ontonagon and Baraga counties; cf. Voss, 1978, p. 77). Map in Foster and Whitney 1850 indicates the Point as far S as latitude of Houghton; and an 1832 observation by Lt. Allen (in Mason 1958, p. 178) notes that the “Point” is “often applied to the whole peninsula.”

Keweenaw Portage

Houghton County

the Portage Lake Ship Canal, completed in 1874, now accommodates small boats crossing the Keweenaw Peninsula via Portage Lake, where the early explorers had to portage their canoes to avoid the long (and dangerous) route around Keweenaw Point; David B. Douglass, Douglass Houghton, and others found such bog species as orchids and pitcherplants along the portage. The north end of the present canal is at the west end of McLain State Park.

Killarney Point

Gogebic County

on Tenderfoot Lake, not in Wisconsin as labeled by P. E. Hebert (fide B. Hellenthal).

Kline Farm

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (DC in 1853, cf. label for Ranunculus flabellaris).

Knapp swale

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (DC, cf. label for Scirpus atrovirens).

Kruzel’s Bog

Emmet County

NW¼ sec. 25, T35N, R5W (UMBS; now the Orchis Fen Preserve of Little Traverse Conservancy).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

L

 

 

Lac La Belle Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

NE¼ sec. 32, T58N, R29W.

Lake Bailey

Keweenaw County

ca. 2 miles E of Eagle Harbor (OAF 1943; probably a better known lake than any of the other half-dozen Bailey lakes in the state). [The 400-acre Lake Bailey Sanctuary of the Michigan Audubon Society is now in this area.]

Lake Glazon

Keweenaw County

sec. 28, T59N, R3W (OAF).

Lake Louise

Charlevoix County

= Thumb Lake, in Hudson Tp.

Lamb’s

Macomb County

Lamb’s meadow, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845 label for Carex tenera).

LaSalle Island

Mackinac County

in Les Cheneaux, north end of Lake Huron (J. R. Churchill in 1910, MO, and misleadingly said on his labels to be “near Sault Ste. Marie”).

Laughing [White] Fish River

Alger County

(Gillman in 1867; similarly, Laughing Fish Pt.).

Lawrence Marsh

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Solidago patula hybrid).

Leach’s

Macomb County

Ike Leach’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex cristatella).

Leadley Park

Ingham County

amusement park on N side of Grand River, promoted about 1892 and later named Waverly Park (on E side of Waverly Rd.) (fide an unrelated Mr. Leadley of Lansing, phone Dec. 1961, and cf. Foster 1952, p. 498) (Kedzie in 1893, MSC).

LeFurge Woods

Washtenaw County

sec. 27, T2S, R7E (Superior Tp.). A frequent collection site for OAF and others, now in the 325-acre LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve of the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy.

Lennox Ave,

Wayne County

Detroit (OAF 1943).

Limberlost

Oakland County

Bloomfield Tp.

Limestone Mt.

Houghton County

T51N, R35W. [Not in Baraga Co., as stated by N. C. Fassett on July 2, 1938, labels.]

Linden Park

Wayne County

Detroit (was in Hamtramck [Tp.] (cf. Farmer, p. 4).

Linwood

Houghton County

at Lake Linden (OAF collected here, Sept. 19, 1941. [Not to be confused with the much better-known Linwood in Bay Co.]

Little Lake

Marquette County

ca. 3–5 miles E of Gwinn; this is presumably the “Little Lake” of Dachnowski in 1906, although not in the Marquette Quadrangle (neither is the very much smaller Little Lake just W of Teal Lake); the town of the same name (but P.O. then called Forsyth) was on the Chicago & Northwestern RR 22 miles SE of Negaunee—suggesting that Dachnowski traveled through Little Lake and Sands (q.v.).

Little Traverse Bay

Houghton County

on west side of Keweenaw Bay, ca. 3–4 miles S of Keweenaw Co. (OAF July 28, 1939). [Not to be confused with the better known Little Traverse Bay in Emmet Co.]

Livingston Bog

Cheboygan County

in sec. 2, T36N, R3W (UMBS).

Locke’s [Corner]:

Oakland County

(OAF 1943; cf. CB labels for Quercus muehlenbergii “near Farmington” and Fraxinus quadrangulata “near Farmington Jct.”).

Loda Lake

Newaygo County

2 miles N of Diamond Lake.

Long Lake

Genesee County

= Lake Fenton (cf. Soil Survey publ. in 1914).

Longyear Tract

Marquette County

ca. 5 miles W of Marquette.

Lookout, Mt.

Keweenaw County

sec. 3, T58N, R3W. The Nature Conservancy now has a preserve there.

Lothrop

Wayne County

(OAF on Oct. 21, 1917; CB collected same day at Grosse Pte.).

Lowell Mills

Washtenaw County

on Huron River in Superior Tp.; in 1850s a sawmill here, near where Ypsilanti Paper Co. was later located (coll. by F. B. H. Brown in 1901 and N. A. Harvey later ; cf. Chapman, History of Washtenaw County, pp. 1073, 1143, and 1204. 1881). [Sometimes on labels merely as “Lowell”—easily confused with the village and township of the same name in Kent Co.]

Lumberjacks Park

Gratiot County

W of Alma on Pine River, in SE¼ sec. 18, T12N, R4W.

Lyons

Macomb County

Elias Lyons, Ray [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex plantaginea, May 30, 1852).

Lyons

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Aster dumosus, Sept. 11, 1837).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

M

 

 

"M b"

Oakland County

Marl bed at Parkedale (q.v.) (OAF; cf. Rep. Mich. Acad. 15: 151, etc. 1915).

MacCurdy Ecological Tract

Montcalm County

includes Vestaburg Bog (q.v.; cf. also Crispin 1980).

Mack Ave. woods

Wayne County

Detroit (OAF 1943; cf. also Rep. Mich. Acad. 20: 187. 1919).

Mackinaw City

Cheboygan/Emmet County

Although usually listed as being in Cheboygan Co. (where the Post Office and most of the business district are), by far the greater part of the area of the village has long been in Emmet Co. (the south end of the Mackinac Bridge now marking the division point). [Note that this name has never applied to Mackinac Island (Mackinac Co.), although vague terms like “Mackinaw” and “Michilimackinac” often referred in times past to the whole general area.]

Macon Creek (or River)

Lenawee/Monroe County

(Folwell in 1832; cf. Mich. Bot. 17: 180 footnote. 1978).

Magician Beach

Cass/Van Buren County

Most H. S. Pepoon labels cite Van Buren Co., but a map in his unpublished flora of Magician Lake clearly shows Magician Beach in both counties.

Malony (Malone) Lake

Cheboygan County

sec. 11, T38N, R3W.

Mama Juda Isl.

Wayne County

in Detroit River E of N point of Grosse Isle (cf. Farmer, p. 7, and Beacon 18(2): 8–11, Summer 2000).

Mamie Lake

Gogebic County?

T44N, R41W, on Wisconsin border. [HTD wrote (Rep. Mich. Acad. 22: 148. 1921) that his (and EAB’s) Gogebic County headquarters in 1919 were “at Bent’s camp on the south side of Mamie Lake and less than a mile from the Wisconsin line.” The lake was said to cover “nearly a square mile.” The location for their 1920 field work was likewise “in the vicinity of Bent’s Camp in the southeastern part of the county.” (Pap. Mich. Acad. 1: 74. 1923). Dr. Darlington confirmed in conversation with me that the camp was on the south side of Mamie Lake. Yet, Michigan maps show Mamie lake almost entirely in Wisconsin (and Wisconsin maps concur), with barely the northern tip extending into Michigan. Bent’s Resort is shown at the S end of Mamie lake, in Wisconsin well south of the Michigan line (not north of the state line), in a map [?1932] of Gogebic County, drawn by George W. Koronski, Gogebic County Engineer; however, on that map a narrow strait of Mamie Lake is shown north into Michigan. How far from “Bent’s Camp” HTD and EAB collected would determine the county (Gogebic in Michigan or Vilas in Wisconsin). And of course “Mamie Lake” may once have included what later maps separately identify as East Bay Lake (entirely in Michigan) and West Bay Lake (partly in Michigan), these three areas separated from each other by more or less narrow straits, with East Bay even included in West Bay Lake in a 1917 plat map.]

Manhattan Mine

Keweenaw County

immediately south of Cliff Mine (q.v.), but never achieved its production.

Manitou Isl. (and adjacent Gull Rock)

Keweenaw County

(cf. Beacon 20(2): 10–12, Summer 2002). [North Manitou and South Manitou islands in Lake Michigan are entirely different, in Leelanau Co.]

Manly farms

Macomb County

Macomb [Tp.] (cf. DC 1845 labels for Carex intumescens and C. retrorsa). “J. W. Manley’s farm” on 1845 Sparganium eurycarpum label is uncertain; 1875 plat shows it in sec. 3, Shelby Tp., but there is no such clue on 1859 plat.

Marl Bay

Cheboygan County

northwest bay of Douglas Lake (UMBS).

Mason

Branch County

an old name (also Masonville) for Coldwater (First Survey; cf. McVaugh 1970, pp. 242–243). [Do not confuse with city of Mason, county seat of Ingham Co.—nor with Mason Co. or any of the three or more other Masons in Michigan, all presumably named for the state’s first governor, Stevens T. Mason.]

McCallum’s Creek

Houghton County

E of Torch Lake (OAF 1943).

McCracken’s

Oakland County

John McCracken’s, Avon [Tp.] (cf. DC 1848 label for Carex eburnea).

McCracken’s marsh

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Aster lateriflorus).

McGregor’s

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1840 label for Aster lanceolatus).

Meadow Mine

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Menominee River Station

Menominee County

(See Camp 7 above, CAD in 1905).

Merriweather

Ontonagon County

on Lake Gogebic (L. H. Pammel in 1926).

Mesnard, Mount

Marquette County

sec. 34–35, T48N, R35W (Dachnowski in 1906 et al.; cf. Rep. Mich. Acad. 9: 89. 1908).

Michigan Hollow

 

This is a sedge fen ca. 16 km SW of Ithaca, New York, and is not in the state of Michigan at all.

Michigan State Col.

 

Specimens so labeled by Asa Gray (GH) were sent to him by the First Survey and refer to a State Collection, not to the Michigan Agricultural College, which was not founded until 1855, with the name changed to Michigan State College in 1925. Attributing these specimens to Ingham Co., as done in some monographs (cf. discussion of some Lysimachia taxa in Mich. Bot. 6: 20–21. 1967), is a gross anachronism; the specimens in fact came from various sites around the state (cf. also McVaugh 1970).

Middle Beach

Oakland County

(OAF 1943, for specimen from M. T. Bingham).

Military Hill

Ontonagon County

near Lake Mine (Greenland Tp.).

Mill Rd.

Oakland/Wayne County

Southfield Rd. (OAF collections of June 23, 1920, are from Wayne Co. [OAF 1943]).

Mill Rd. & Grand River

Wayne County

 

Mill Rd. woods

Wayne County

Detroit (Redford) (cf. OAF labels for Polygonatum pubescens and also citations in Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 76–77. 1928).

Miller’s

Macomb County

Jo. Miller’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Agrostis gigantea, Agropyron trachycaulum, Sphenopholis nitida, Linum virginianum).

Miller’s

Macomb County

Worcester Miller’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1848 label for Carex normalis).

Milwaukee Jct.

Wayne County

RR junction 4 miles N from Detroit station on the Grand Trunk system (cf. Mich. Man.).

Minesota Mine
[see note]

Ontonagon County

NW¼ sec. 15, T50N, R39W [due to an alleged clerical error, originally spelled this way and not “Minnesota” as intended (cf. also Romig and Mich. History 82(6): 20, Nov.–Dec. 1998)].

Misery Bay

Ontonagon County

at mouth of Misery River near Houghton County line, on Lake Superior (OAF 1943; Lewis Foote in Aug. 1865—but there is also a Misery Bay in Alpena Co.).

Monfore

Macomb County

vic. of Disco, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Polygonum hydropiperoides and Solidago speciosa).

Mont Lake

Livingston County

ca. 3.5 miles N of Brighton (now = Clark Lake) on line between sec. 7, T2N, R6E, and sec. 12, T2N, R5E (Mary Clark collected here ca. 1838).

Montreal

Houghton County

(OAF 1943).

Montreal River

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Moon’s marsh

Macomb County

(?sec. 7, Washington Tp. [only Moon property in 1859 Macomb Co. plat]; cf. DC label for Gentianopsis procera).

Morris’ farm

Macomb County

Benj. Morris’, Ray [Tp.] (DC in 1845, cf. label for Lactuca biennis).

Morrison’s

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.]: (DC in 1841).

Mount(ain): [see specific name].

 

 

Mud Lake

Alcona County

renamed Barton City in 1912 (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 29).

Mud Lake

Cheboygan County

the most often cited (UMBS) Mud Lake in Cheboygan Co. is mostly in sec. 7, T37N, R2W (Inverness Tp.); much of the bog is now in the Wendy O’Neil Preserve of the Little Traverse Conservancy. Some other of the county’s Mud Lakes have been “renamed” by UMBS people (cf. Blanchard Lake above).

Mud Lake

Dickinson County?

Of over 300 “Mud Lakes” in Michigan, there appear to be none “25 miles southeast of Ishpeming” (F. P. Metcalf, Sept. 1922), which would be in Alger Co.; however, there are several in northeastern Dickinson Co., ± SSW of Ishpeming, and probably where the collector was (cf. his labels for Andromeda glaucophylla and Ledum groenlandicum, A).

Mud Lake

Washtenaw County

ca. 2 miles SW of Whitmore Lake in Webster Tp. and now a research property of the University of Michigan (Crispin 1980); but there are 6 other Mud Lakes in the county indexed by Humphrys, not including any in R2S, R7E (Superior Tp.), as apparently mapped by Walpole (1924).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

N

 

 

Natural Wall

Houghton County

ravine near Old Colony Mine, which was in sec. 18, T56N, R32W (OAF Aug. 26, 1935).

Neasmith Crossing

Kalamazoo County

on Grand Trunk RR, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his Flora, p. 255, under Rudbeckia triloba).

Neithercut Woodland

Clare County

sec. 17, T17N, R5W (Surrey Tp.) (an outdoor education tract of Central Michigan University).

Nelson Lake

Cheboygan County

on line between secs. 15 and 22, T38N, R3W; a county road bisects the [drying or intermittent] lake, which shows on older county maps as Nolten Lake, as does a different lake (UMBS).

New Baltimore

Macomb/St.Clair County

on the county line (OAF’s nos. 8551–8569 in 1929 are attributed to the St. Clair Co. side of the line [cf. his field notes]; he attributes 6389 and 6390 in 1922 to Macomb Co. Some other collectors may not have been so precise). For A. J. Pieters’ 1893 collections from Lake St. Clair near New Baltimore (cf. Bull. Mich. Fish Comm. 2. 1894), his map shows no county line—which would be just W of 80°45'W longitude as shown on his map; if a label mentions some specific site or station in the lake, it may be possible to assign a county.

New England Mine

Marquette County

sec. 16, T47N, R27W (Mary Clark in 1871 and 1872).

Newburg Dam

Calhoun County

on N Branch, Kalamazoo River, 0.5 miles W of Jackson Co. line.

Nichols’ Bog

Cheboygan County

a farm pond in sec. 2, T36N, R3W (UMBS).

Nigger Creek

Cheboygan County

now renamed as the less offensive “Mullett Creek,” flowing into Mullett Lake ca. 2 miles NE of Topinabee (UMBS).

Nolten Lake

Cheboygan County

on older maps = Nelson Lake (see above); both older and later maps (incl. USGS Mullett Lake quad) show a lake of this name in sec. 18, T38N R3W and this is also known as Nolten Fen (UMBS).

Normal

Marquette County

= Northern State Normal School (now Northern Michigan University), Marquette (A. Dachnowski in 1906). [“Normal” is also shorthand on labels (CMC) for the Central State Normal School (now Central Michigan University) in Mt. Pleasant. Similarly, expect the same cryptic abbreviation for the former Normal Schools in Kalamazoo (Western Michigan University) and Ypsilanti (Eastern Michigan University), so that context such as origin of herbarium specimens may be needed for interpretation.]

North American Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

NE¼ sec. 2, T57N, R32W.

North Cliff Pond

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

North Park

Kent County

west of Softwater Lake.

Northwest Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

sec. 15, T58N, R30W.

Northwestern Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

sec. 24, T58N, R31W.

Norton Hills

Oakland County

Oakland [Tp.] (cf. DC 1839 label for Carex muhlenbergii).

Norton’s

Macomb County

Hugh Norton’s meadow, Ray [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Carex tenera).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

O

 

 

Oak Grove

Bay County

presumably sec. 8, T14N, R6E (G. M. Bradford in 1893 and 1901).

Oakwood

Wayne County

site noted for halophytes, on River Rouge in sec. 28, Ecorse Tp. Originally named Navarre, renamed Oakwood in 1918, but annexed by Detroit in 1922 (Romig). (OAF, CB, et al. Sept. 23 and 30, 1916; Sept. 15, 1918; cf. Rhodora 18: 243–244 [1916] and Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 46 [1928], under Cyperus esculentus; also Sept. 30, 1930; and cf. F. B. H. Brown in Rep. Mich. Acad. 19: 219 [1918]).

Ohio & Isle Royale Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

SE¼ sec. 34, T66N, R34W.

Ohio Trap Rock Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

SW¼ sec. 5, T49N, R40W.

Osceola Mine

Houghton County

ca. 1 mile N of the village of Osceola, near Laurium—nowhere near Osceola Co. in the Lower Peninsula.

Ott Preserve

Calhoun County

Harvey N. Ott Preserve, 315-acre natural area in secs. 3, 4, 9, and 10, T2S, R7W (Emmett Tp.). Established in 1926 as the Battle Creek College Biological Preserve; when that college closed, Albion College obtained the tract and dedicated it as the Ott Preserve; sold in 1977 by Albion to Calhoun County to be administered through the Parks Commission (Crispin 1980; pers. comm., W. J. Gilbert).

Overlook Farm

Charlevoix County

SW¼ sec. 22, Eveline Tp. (Eisendrath in 1959–1970).

Owen Woods

Wayne County

Detroit (cf. 1900 W. Cook label for Aster laevis).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

P

 

 

Paige (Page)

Emmet County

on Little Traverse Bay (near S edge sec. 16, T35N, R5W) along the RR between Menonaqua Beach and Ramona Park. (cf. 1902 plat map); CWF often collected here 1899–1923.

Palmer Park

Wayne County

in Detroit (cf. Mich. History 65(2): 29–32, March–April 1981).

Palmer’s Farm

Oscoda County

Dr. Oscar Palmer’s farm was in sec. 6, T26N, R1E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, pp. 39–40, footnote 49).

Paradise

Grand Traverse County

community near the Kingsley RR station and later incorporated into the village of Kingsley, in Paradise Tp. (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 61). [Quite different from the village of Paradise on Whitefish Bay in Chippewa Co.]

Paris

Kent County

collectors in the Grand Rapids area (e.g., H. M. Bailey in the 1890s) refer to Paris Tp., in Kent Co.—not to the Mecosta Co. community (originally named Parish for a founder, but the final h was inexplicably dropped; cf. Mich. History 71(2): 15, March–April 1987).

Parkedale

Oakland County

near Rochester (S of the Van Hoosen farm). OAF collected extensively here, at the research property owned by his employer, Parke, Davis & Co., which acquired it in 1908. [Three photos of the “Parke-Davis Biological Farm” are between pp. 46 and 47 in Eula Pray, History of Avon Township 1820–1940 (Ann Arbor, 1986), with relevant text on pp. 55–58. The facility was sold in 1998 by Warner-Lambert, which had absorbed Parke, Davis. For OAF’s flora of Parkedale, including description and map, see Rep. Mich. Acad. 15: 150–192. 1914.]

Partridge Brook

Macomb County

John Adams’ land = ca. l mile N of Disco, Shelby Tp. (cf. DC label for Cuscuta gronovii).

Partridge Island

Marquette County

in Partridge Bay of Lake Superior, NW of Marquette.

Patton’s Marsh

Kalamazoo County

1 mile SE of Harrison Lake, Prairie Ronde Tp. (CRH, cf. his Flora p. 159).

Pawpaw Woods

Washtenaw County

sec. 1, Lodi Tp. (cf. FJH labels for Populus heterophylla and Epifagus virginiana).

Peach [orig. Pêche] Island

Essex County, Ontario, Canada

E (upstream) of Belle Isle, at source of Detroit River (cf. Farmer, p. 7)].

Pennnellwood

Berrien County

S of Berrien Springs.

Penny Lake

Cheboygan County

NE¼ sec. 15, T38N R3W (UMBS).

Peter White’s Camp

Alger County

800 acres on Whitefish Lake, ca. 4 miles S of Deerton. CKD collected here in 1916; cf. R. D.Williams, 1905, The Honorable Peter White, pp. 201 and 203). [The property is now included in the 1700-acre Laughing Whitefish Lake Preserve of The Nature Conservancy, presented in 1993 by relatives of Peter White (an early founder of Marquette) and of George Shiras III (White’s son-in-law) (cf. Mich. Conservancy News, Spring 1993.]

Pewabic Mine

Houghton County

associated with the Quincy Mine (which purchased it in 1891) on the north side of Portage Lake at Hancock.

Phillips farm

Kent County

see Felt-boot factory, above.

Philps [?]

Macomb County?

(DC 1852 label for Glyceria septentrionalis has “Philps” but no tp.; 1875 Macomb Co. plat map shows J. & N. Phelps in Washington and Bruce Tps.).

Phoenix (formerly Lake Superior) Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County

secs. 19 and 20, T58N, R31W [but later maps have Old Phoenix Mine in sec. 30].

Pickerell Lake

Marquette County

= Harlow Lake near Little Presque Isle, NW of Marquette (Dachnowski in 1906; cf. 1907 topo map).

Pier Cove

Allegan County

lumber port in sec. 5, T2N, R16W (cf. 1901 soils map; mail was supplied through the Ganges P.O. a mile to the SE).

Pigeon or Pigeon Prairie

St. Joseph County

near White Pigeon (First Survey in August 1837); cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 243).

Pine Lake

Charlevoix County

= Lake Charlevoix.

Pine Lake

Ingham County

name changed to Lake Lansing 1929–30. (There are about 30 other Pine Lakes in Michigan. The P.O. at this one, established in 1879, was changed to Haslett in 1890; cf. Ceasar p. 56.)

Pine Pt.

Cheboygan County

on Douglas Lake near middle of its east side (UMBS).

Pingree Woods

Oakland County

(OAF 1943).

Pittsburg & Isle Royale Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

NW¼ sec. 12, T65N, R36W.

Point Detour

Delta County

at tip of Garden Peninsula (Lewis Foote on Sept. 22, 1863, was at this place [“N. W. shore L. Michigan” on his label for Calamintha arkansana]—not the eastern tip of the Upper Peninsula mainland in Chippewa Co.

Porky Point

Gogebic County?

location unknown, but presumably not far from Thousand Island Lake (EAB, July 3, 1920; HTD could recall no location when I queried him).

Portage Lake

Crawford County

former name of 1300-acre Lake Margrethe west of Grayling (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, pp. 45–47). [There are still about a dozen Portage Lakes altogether in Michigan.]

Portage Lake

Livingston/Washtenaw County

E. B. Mains’ 1913 collections were made at Gaige’s cottage at N end of the lake (Livingston Co.), he once told me. OAF on June 12, 1921, collected in Dexter Tp., Washtenaw Co. (cf. Pap. Mich. Acad. 2: 22 [1924] and Walpole 1924, p. 36: Scleranthus).

Portage Park

Manistee County

sec. 21–22, Onekama Tp., fide 1926 county map (L. M. Umbach in 1916).

Porter’s

Oakland County

John Porter’s blacksmith shop, Oakland [Tp.] (DC, 1845–1850; cf. his labels for Agrostis hyemalis and Habenaria leucophaea).

Pottawatomie Lake

Berrien County

in New Buffalo.

Pottawatomie Park

Berrien County

sec. 21, Hagar Tp. (CKD in 1917).

Pottawattomie Bayou

Ottawa County

on the Grand River in Grand Haven Tp., SE of Grand Haven (CWB et al.).

Potts’ Farm

Alcona County

N½ NW¼ sec. 2 and NE¼ NE¼ sec. 3, T26N, R5E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p.27).

Potts’ Headquarters

Oscoda County

= McKinley, sec. 15, T26N, R4E (CFW et al. in 1888; cf. Voss & Crow 1976, p. 35).

Powell Lake

Oakland County

near Oxford (OAF on Sept. 24, 1924).

Powers, Dr.

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC label for Mollugo verticillata).

Pratt Lake

Gladwin County

T19N, R2W. Of the four lakes bearing this name, in as many counties, the one visited by F. Comte in Aug. 1956 (specimens at MO) must have been the Gladwin Co. one, for the species collected would not have all occurred near any of the other Pratt Lakes.]

Presque Isle

Marquette County

on N side of city of Marquette (Dachnowski in 1906 et al.).

Presque Isle

Presque Isle County

Lewis Foote’s collecting on June 15, 1863, must have been in Presque Isle Co. On June 17 he was collecting at Ephraim, Wisconsin, and he could hardly have gotten there via the Presque Isle in Marquette Co., on Lake Superior.

Preston’s Mill Pond

Macomb County

NE of Disco in Shelby Tp. on Middle Branch of Clinton River (cf. M. A. Leeson, History of Macomb County and DC 1840 labels for Potamogeton amplifolius and Myriophyllum heterophyllum).

Price’s Mill Pond

Oakland County

Avon [Tp.] (cf. 1872 Oakland Co. plat map and DC 1839 labels for Sagittaria cuneata and Ceratophyllum demersum—or Oakland [Tp.] (cf. 1839 label for Elodea canadensis). [Avon Tp. was separated from Oakland in 1835.]

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

Q

 

 

Quanicassee

Bay/Tuscola County

R. R. Dreisbach collected here (as “Quanticasse”) May 22, 1927, and Sept. 6, 1931. He labeled all his specimens as from Bay Co.; however, in his field notes he corrected nos. 5491–5499 and 7598–7602 to Tuscola Co. He left 5500–5504 and 7603–7605 as Bay Co. This distinction is also borne out by his exchange records. So it seems clear that he became aware of the proximity of the county line to this Tuscola Co. community. (Nos. 6192–6208, Aug. 26, 1928, are all unchanged as recorded, for Tuscola Co.)

Quincy Mine

Houghton County

on NE side of Hancock. Quincy Hill here is the classic site for Juncus inflexus in Michigan; cf. Rhodora 43: 633 (1941) and Pap. Mich. Acad. 30: 59 (1945). [Neither should be confused with the village of Quincy in Branch Co., where B. B. Kanouse collected.]

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

R

 

 

Rabbit Bay

Houghton County

(OAF 1943).

Ramona Park

Kent County

on Reed’s Lake, Grand Rapids, ca. 1900–1950 (cf. Chronicle 24(2): 5–6, July–Aug. 1988). [Not to be confused with Ramona Park, a settlement and old RR stop in Little Traverse Tp., Emmet Co.]

Randall Swamp

Washtenaw County

Ypsilanti (OAF 1943).

Rattlesnake Island

Wayne County

in Detroit River (cf. Beacon 18(4): 4, Winter 2000–01). [Now known as Belle Isle (cf. under Hog Island, above) and not to be confused with Rattlesnake Island in western Lake Erie, Ottawa Co., Ohio.]

Redberry Lake

Marquette County

on Longyear Tract (q.v.).

Reese’s Bog (Swamp)

Cheboygan County

cedar swamp at the north end of Burt Lake (UMBS).

Reform School

Ingham County

at Lansing, later called the Industrial School for Boys (cf. Wheeler in 1892, Carex lupuliformis).

Reserve

Macomb County

Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Glyceria striata, Carex cephaloidea, C. laxiculmis, C. grayi, etc.).

Resolute

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Rice Lake

Houghton County

near eastern border of Keweenaw Co. (OAF).

Rockport

Alpena County

sec. 6, T32N, R9E (cf. letter in Mich. History 65(5): 4, Sept.–Oct. 1981).

Rogers Creek

Van Buren County

(Nieuwland in 1919; cf. one of his collections of Taxus canadensis, ND).

Rosedale

Emmet County

E edge of Petoskey, at Bay View (cf. 1902 plat map—and current street sign). [Note that there was also a Rosedale in Chippewa Co., from which I have seen no collections.]

Roth, Camp Filibert

Iron County

on W side of Golden Lake, sec. 26, T44N, R37W (Univ. of Michigan forestry camp, originally established in 1929 in Alger Co., W of Munising, but moved in June of 1935 to Golden Lake; property sold in the 1990s).

Ruby’s

Macomb County

Elisha Ruby’s, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. 1851 DC label for Polygonum punctatum). [Not the same as Ruby in Clyde Tp., St. Clair Co.]

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

S

 

 

Saginaw Forest

Washtenaw County

80-acre tract in sec. 26, T2S, R5E, planted (starting in 1904) with diverse trees and including Third Sister Lake; administered by the University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment (originally named “The Saginaw Forestry Farm” as requested by the donor of the land, Arthur Hill of Saginaw, but not situated in Saginaw. The name was changed in 1919 to “The Saginaw Forest.”).

Sailors Encampment

Chippewa County

near the S end of Neebish Island, in the St. Mary’s River (not the entire island as indicated by Romig). (E. T. & S. A. Harper collected here in 1897 and 1898.)

Salmon Trout River

Houghton County

mouth on Lake Superior near Redridge (Lewis Foote in 1865; cf. also Lt. Allen’s 1832 mention [Mason 1958, p. 179]).

Salmon Trout River

Marquette County

this one flows into Lake Superior at Salmon Trout Bay west of Salmon Trout Pt., and is perhaps better known than the preceding, which was early called “Little” Salmon Trout (cf. Peters in Mich. Academician 18: 412. 1986).

Sand Bay

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943; “Great Sand Bay” is between Eagle River and Eagle Harbor).

Sand Lake

Jackson or Kalamazoo County?

“8 or 10 miles from the village of Jacksonburgh” [original name for Jackson] (J. Wright in 1838 on label for Eleocharis equisetoides, NY). [There are over 20 other Sand Lakes in Michigan—but Humphrys does not include this one.] On the other hand, McVaugh (1970, p. 243) notes a “Sand Lake” 8 or 10 miles from Kalamazoo mentioned in a letter from John Wright (botanist with the First Survey) to John Torrey; this would accord with “Sandy Lakes” on old maps in the Austin Lake area.

Sands

Marquette County

station on the Chicago & Northwestern RR 13 miles SE of Negaunee; presumably this is the “Sands” of A. Dachnowski in 1906 (and not the village of Sands ca. 3 miles to the north—neither, however, in the Marquette Quadrangle, which Dachnowski surveyed). [Named for Louis Sands, not for the dry sandy plains there, as described by Dachnowski in Rep. Mich. Acad. 9: 94. 1908.]

Sawmill Creek

Houghton County

flows into Torch Lake E of Lake Linden (OAF 1943). [There is also a Sawmill Creek in Chippewa Co. just N of Paradise and doubtless are others.]

School Girl’s Glen

Washtenaw County

(sometimes abbreviated on labels “S. G. G.”) ravine S of Huron River and N of Forest Hill Cemetery, Ann Arbor, now in W part of Nichols Arboretum; designation once more broadly applied to the whole Arboretum area (cf. A. D. Tinker, “The birds of School Girl’s Glen, Ann Arbor, Michigan: A study in local ornithology,” Mich. Geol. Biol. Surv. Publ. 1, Biol Ser. 1: 35–66 + 4 pl. + folded map. 1910).

Schoolcraft

Kalamazoo County

Caution! Note that the village of this name is hundreds of miles from Schoolcraft County in the Upper Peninsula.

Scotty Bay

Mackinac County

on W side of Beavertail Point in sec. 4, T41N, R2E, E of Les Cheneaux on north shore of Lake Huron (Erlanson in 1924 et al.).

Scranton’s

Macomb County

G. W. Scranton’s, Washington [Tp., sec. 27] (cf. DC 1844 label for Echinochloa walteri; “Scranton Marsh” [Eleocharis erythropoda in 1847 and Carex lacustris in 1843] presumably the same).

Sedge Pt.

Cheboygan County

N shore of Douglas Lake just W of North Fishtail Bay (UMBS).

Seneca Lake

Keweenaw County

ca. 1 mile NW of Mohawk (OAF 1943; the only lake of that name in Michigan fide Humphrys).

Shaffer’s farm

Kalamazoo County

sec. 34, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his 1934 label for Juglans cinerea).

Shaffer’s woods and marsh

Kalamazoo County

NE of Goose Lake, Schoolcraft Tp. (CRH, cf. his label for Cornus canadensis and his Flora for Panicum tsugetorum and Quercus ellipsoidalis).

Sharon Hollow

Washtenaw County

mostly in sec. 29, Sharon Tp.; now the Nan Weston Preserve of The Nature Conservancy.

Shaw

Macomb County

Marvil Shaw, Washington Tp. (DC in 1841).

Shelby

Macomb County

the township (T3N, R12E) in Macomb Co. is immediately south of Washington (where Dennis Cooley and William A. Burt lived). [It should not be confused with the village of Shelby (in another Shelby Tp.) in Muskegon Co. on the opposite side of the state.]

Shelbyville

Allegan County

(OAF in 1920 and 1923; his notes and original labels say Kalamazoo Co.—presumably a carry-over from Galesburg, where he was immediately before—but his 1943 manuscript says Allegan Co.)

Sheldon Sawmill

Macomb County

(DC, presumably sec. 16, Ray Tp., on Clinton River).

Shelter Bay

Alger County

west of Au Train Bay (Lewis Foote in 1867).

Sherman

St. Joseph County

= Sturgis (and Sturgis Prairie) (First Survey in 1837; cf. McVaugh 1970). [There a number of other “Sherman” sites in Michigan; cf. Romig.]

Shot Point

Marquette County

on Lake Superior just W of Alger Co. line.

Silver Creek (or River) Meadow

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943).

Silver Mt.

Houghton County

(OAF 1943).

Siskawit Mine
[see note]

Keweenaw County (Isle Royale)

SE¼ sec. 34, T66N, R34W.

Sister Lakes

Van Buren County

in the SW corner of Van Buren Co. (with Crooked Lake barely into northern Cass Co.) (L. M. Umbach in 1915 et al.). [Not to be confused with First, Second, and Third Sister Lakes in and near Ann Arbor, Washtenaw Co.]

Skelton’s bog

Hillsdale County

W side of Montgomery (fide F. W. Case in conversation 1989).

Sleeping River

Ontonagon County

East and West Sleeping rivers empty into Sleeping Bay between Wolf Pt. and Fourteen Mile Pt. in eastern Ontonagon Co. (cf. Peters in Mich. Academician 18: 417. 1986).

Slocum’s Island

Wayne County

now incorporated in Trenton (Elizabeth Park) at the bridge to Grosse Isle in the Detroit River (cf. Romig and 1906 topo map for Wyandotte Quad.).

Smelts Incline

Houghton County

(OAF 1943).

Smith huckleberry marsh

Kalamazoo County

sec. 32, Portage Tp. (cf. CRH 1934 label for Gentiana alba).

Smith’s Bog

Cheboygan County

S of Green Star Trail in sec. 35, T37N, R3W (UMBS).

Soldiers’ Home

Kent County

built in 1886 in sec. 6, Grand Rapids Tp., now incorporated in the northern part of the city—formerly 3 miles from town; a frequent collecting site for late 19th century botanists incl. EJC; cf. Mich. History 82(4): 100, July–Aug. 1998, and, with view of the woods, 70(3): inside cover, May–June 1986).

Southerland’s

Macomb County

Silas Southerland’s, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1840 label for Aster lanceolatus).

Spring Lake

Ottawa County

J. A. Drushel collected here in 1919 (specimens, MO). [But in 1931 he collected at a Spring Lake in New Jersey (cf. his label for Hypochaeris).]

Springwells

Wayne County

community (north of Ecorse and east of Dearborn) and later township now incorporated in Dearborn; in 1835 Bela Hubbard (Douglass Houghton’s assistant in the First Survey 1837–1845 and a prominent citizen of Detroit) acquired a farm here from which First Survey plants labeled “Springwells” very probably came.

Spur 447

Chippewa County

on Soo Line RR. ca. 2.5 miles W of Trout Lake.

Spur 459

Chippewa County

on Soo Line RR ca. 9 miles E of Trout Lake. [According to “Tales & Trails of Tro-La-Oz-Ken” (a 1976 local history of the Trout Lake area), p. 85, Spur 459 was once a community of 100 persons, had a P.O. 1910–1915, and was “one mile south of Ozark”—that location apparently erroneous (it would better locate Kenneth).]

Squaw Island

Wayne County [if not Ontario, Canada]

location unknown (McVaugh 1970, pp. 237 and 243) but quite possibly = Mama Juda Island (q.v.) “named from an old squaw” (Farmer p. 7) (First Survey in 1837; cf. label on Lysimachia thyrsiflora). [Since the label, in the hand of Bela Hubbard, Houghton’s assistant, says “Detroit River” presumably this was not the tiny Squaw Island shown on the old Maumee Bay topo quadrangle (surveyed in 1899) between the south ends of Indian Island and Guard Island on the north side of Maumee Bay, Monroe Co. Neither of these need be confused with the Squaw Island in northern Lake Michigan, in the Beaver group (Charlevoix Co.).]

Squirrel Isl.

Lambton Co., Ontario, Canada

in mouth of St. Clair River.

St. Clair Flats

St. Clair County

at mouth of St. Clair River, in Lake St. Clair; long dredged to accommodate navigation (old maps, history, etc., in Beacon 19(4), Winter 2001–02).

St. Joseph

Berrien County

Caution! Note that this city in Berrien Co. is 35 and more miles from St. Joseph Co.—but some 1837 First Survey labels confuse the issue by omitting “Co.” (cf. McVaugh 1970, p. 243).

St. Martin Island

Delta County

in Lake Michigan S of Garden Peninsula, just before the Wisconsin line. (For history of collecting, cf. Judziewicz, Mich. Bot. 40: 139–140. 2002 [“2001”]). [Not to be confused with the St. Martin Island in St. Martin Bay north of Mackinac Island, in Mackinac Co.]

Star

Oakland County

(OAF 1943).

Star Island

St. Clair County

in St. Clair Flats, Lake St. Clair (A. B. Lyons in 1877; cf. his label for Carex rostrata and Chronicle 27(1–2): 26. 1993). “Star Island Cut” was between two of the islands near end of S. Channel Dr., just NW of International border (cf. old maps of the Flats, e.g. as in Beacon 19(4): 13, Winter 2001–02).

Stead’s

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp., sec. 33] (DC in 1850; cf. his label for Potamogeton amplifolius).

Steele farm

Macomb County

Ray [Tp.] (DC).

Stevens

Oakland County

apparently near Farmington (OAF and CB collected here July 14, 1918, and CB at “Stevens Corners” Sept. 14, 1916. [It was here (in a private woods) on May 19, 1917, that OAF collected the variable trilliums described in Rep. Mich. Acad. 20: 155–159. 1919. OAF, CB, and J. H. Ehlers were in the woods again to examine the trilliums and other plants May 8, 1927.]

Stevens farm

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. 1840 DC label for Aster dumosus).

Stewart Lake

Muskegon County

(C. D. McLouth on June 26, 1900 [fide label on Panicum boreale, MSC]; CFW collected here the same date (Panicum commonsianum and P. implicatum; no such lake is indexed by Humphrys).

Stones

Macomb County

A. Stones, Washington [Tp., sec. 13] (DC in 1847, cf. label for Carex lanuginosa).

Stoney Creek

Monroe County

the electric interurban station was 4 mi SW of Newport (Mich. Man. 1905, p. 269); the creek itself crosses much of the county. OAF walked from Monroe along the tracks to Stoney Creek June 9, 1921 (cf. his field notes and Am. Midl. Nat. 11: 46 etc. 1928); he also collected at this Stoney Creek Aug. 17, 1927. [Of course there are Stoney/Stony Creeks in a number of other Michigan counties.]

Stony Creek

Oakland County

vicinity of Rochester, Avon Tp. OAF collected here (the creek flowed through Parkedale in sec. 12; cf. Pap. Mich. Acad. 15: 150. 1914). DC also collected at Stony Creek marsh (E border in Avon [Tp.], cf. his 1843 label for Scirpus hudsonianus and also 1847 label for Salix eriocephala); however, DC 1848 label for C. crawei on “bank of Stony Creek marsh” is attributed to Washington [Tp., Macomb Co.]. (On Stony Creek history, including Van Hoosen farm, see Mich. History 62(3): 18–36, Sept–Oct. 1978 and 79(5): 53–55, Sept.–Oct. 1995.)

Sugarloaf Lakes

Kalamazoo County

area ca. 3 miles N of Schoolcraft (CRH).

Sugarloaf Mt.

Marquette County

sec. 32, T49N, R25W. [Do not confuse with the well known “Sugarloaf” rock on Mackinac Island.]

Sullivan’s Woods

Gratiot County

near Alma, W½ sec. 32, T12N R3W.

Superior

Washtenaw County

(OAF in 1927).

Swamp

Houghton County

“The Swamp,” a Chamaedaphne bog 0.5 mile N of Laurium (FJH coll here; cf. letter from him to EGV April 10, 1969).

Sweeney’s woods

Isabella County

now a subdivision in sec. 6, T14N, R4W (fide G. Starks; some specimens in CMC erroneously locate this woods).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

T

 

 

Tacoma

Macomb County

I have been unable to locate this site where OAF collected his nos. 4263–4274 July 2, 1916, attributing them to Macomb Co. in his field notes and in some published citations, but without further information. He collected at no other place that day, and the collections include both upland and fen species.

Taylor’s Hill

Jackson County

Waterloo Tp. (cf. CFW 1898 label, GH, for Carex bicknellii).

Third Sister Lake

Washtenaw County

sec. 26, T2S, R5E, in the University of Michigan’s Saginaw Forest (q.v.).

Third Woods

Washtenaw County

(J. Romein in 1915 et al.); sec. 9, Pittsfield Tp. (cf. FJH field notes for his 6833, Festuca obtusa, July 1, 1935; at that time “3 mi. S. of” Ann Arbor; now within the city limits (and including present site of the University Herbarium).

Thomas Bog/woods

Washtenaw County

SE¼ sec. 22, Pittsfield Tp.; now included in the Pittsfield Preserve (of the township of the same name). (Ruth B. [Alford] MacFarlane coll. and pers. com. 2002; cf. also Cady’s, above.)

Thompson

Macomb County

Nehemiah Thompson’s, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1852 label for Salix sericea).

Thorps meadow

Macomb County

Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC labels for Carex debilis and C. scoparia).

Thurston

Macomb County

D. Thurston’s land, Washington [Tp.] (cf. DC 1837 label for Euthamia graminifolia).

Towar Swamp

Ingham County

“1.5 miles n. of Agr’l College” (CFW label for Carex tenuiflora; one for Habenaria ciliaris reads “near the Agr’l College”). Towar Gardens is shown on the 1933 soils map in S½ sec. 6, T4N R1W, just N of East Lansing and SE of Chandler Marsh (q.v. above).

Tower

Cheboygan County

village (est. 1899) and dam site on the Upper Black River in T34N, R1E. [A town in St. Louis Co., Minnesota, bears the same name and is the site for an 1889 EJH collection of Caltha natans, which has sometimes been erroneously (and anachronistically) attributed to Michigan because of misreading a handwritten label.]

Townsend Marsh

Oakland County

Oakland [Tp.] (DC 1837 label for Carex tetanica; however, on an 1840 label for Solidago patula he crossed out “Oakland” and wrote in “Washington” [Tp., Macomb Co.]; on some other 1840 and 1847 labels he has merely “Washington” (the 1859 plat has no Townsend property in Washington Tp.). On his label for an 1840 collection of Zizania aquatica, he wrote “Townsend pond on the line of Washington–Oakland,” so he obviously was aware of the county line.

Traine Island

Alger County

Au Train I. (Gillman in 1867; similarly, “Traine Bay”—both on Lake Superior west of Munising and Grand Island).

Trap Rock River

Houghton County

flows into N end of Torch Lake (OAF 1943).

Traverse Bay

Antrim/Grand Traverse County

Mary Clark was here in 1869 at Elk Rapids [Antrim Co.] on Grand Traverse Bay (cf. her label for Utricularia cornuta); she was also at Traverse City [Grand Traverse Co.] in 1869. CFW collected at the Bay in 1898, often with reference to Traverse City or the Peninsula in the Bay, so presumably his specimens are to be referred to Grand Traverse Co. and not to Leelanau or Antrim counties, which also border the Bay. [There is also a Grand (or “Big”) Traverse Bay on the Keweenaw/Houghton Co. line. Cf. also Little Traverse Bay, above.]

Trowbridge

Cheboygan County

(CFW July 13, 1890; cf. his label for Carex bebbii). [N.B.: on July 12 CFW collected near Bay View in Emmet Co.; but on July 11 he collected in Ingham Co.—where there was another Trowbridge at the junction of the Pere Marquette and Grand Trunk railroads south of East Lansing (cf. Foster 1942, p. 513).]

Twin Falls

Dickinson County

on Menominee River, sec. 7, T40N, R30W and sec. 12, R31W (CAD in 1905; cf. p. 226 in his report on peat in Rep. Geol. Surv. Mich. for 1906).

Twin Lakes

Houghton County

(OAF on Aug. 15, 1934; cf. his label for Carex paupercula). [Of course, there are many other Twin Lakes in the state.]

Tyrone

Livingston County

Tyrone Tp., NE corner of the county (OAF on June 10, 1930) [but note that there is also a Tyrone Township in Kent Co., where others have collected].

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

U

 

 

Upham’s clearing

Mackinac County

sec. 27, Bois Blanc Island (M. T. Bingham in 1939; cf. her label for Monarda fistulosa).

Upper Peninsula Experiment Station (Chatham)

Alger County

SE¼ sec. 28, T46N, R21W.

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

V

 

 

Vaughnsville

Keweenaw County

(OAF 1943; cf. also Romig 1972).

Veit’s woods

Isabella County

a property of Central Michigan University in sec. 21, T14N, R4W (fide G. Starks; some specimens in CMC erroneously locate this woods).

Vestaburg Bog (Vestaburg Ecological Station)

Montcalm County

sec. 34, T12N R5W (CAD et al., ALMA); now in the MacCurdy Ecological Tract (q.v.).

Vestal’s Bog

Cheboygan County

S of Livingston Bog in sec. 35, T37N, R3W (UMBS, cf. map in Nelson 1956).

Vulcan

Keweenaw County

triangulation station on East Bluff (near SE corner sec. 1, T58N, R28W), established by the U. S. Lake Survey in 1866 for primary triangulation of Lake Superior (cf. Voss 1978, p. 52).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

W

 

 

Walpole Island

Lambton Co., Ontario, Canada

at mouth of St. Clair River.

Warners Sawmill

Oakland County

Troy [Tp.] (cf. DC 1850 label for Erigenia bulbosa).

Warren’s

Macomb County

Elder Abel Warren’s, Shelby [Tp.] (cf. DC 1840 label for Muhlenbergia schreberi and 1845 label for Lactuca biennis).

Water Works

Oakland County

Rochester, sometimes abbreviated by OAF on his labels as “R.W.W.”, N½ sec. 4 (cf. map p. 2 and endpapers in Eula Pray, History of Avon Township, 1986).

Water Works

Wayne County

on Detroit River opposite Belle Isle (OAF Sept. 24, 1900; cf. his label for 1681, Sporobolus neglectus, cited Am. Midl. Nat. 10: 24. 1926; again on Sept. 18, 1901, cf. his label for 1758a, Paspalum setaceum, and cf. Farmer, pp. 67–69).

Waterford

Wayne County

between Plymouth and Northville, in Northville Tp. (OAF on April 30, 1929, nos. 8297–8306). [Not to be confused with the better known Waterford (Tp.) in Oakland Co.]

Watkins Station

Jackson County

(A. B. Lyons in 1874; CFW in 1892, cf. his labels for Panicum flexile and Allium cernuum; cf. also Romig).

Wawatam Beach

Emmet County

erroneously assigned to Cheboygan Co. by Romig but is entirely west of the county line in the village of Mackinaw City (q.v.).

Webb’s Woods

Washtenaw County

NW¼ sec. 22, Pittsfield Tp. (Ruth B. [Alford] MacFarlane coll. and pers. com. 2002).

Webster Farm

Macomb County?

probably Washington Tp. (DC in 1839, cf. label for Trisetum melicoides; Daniel Webster was first constable, then treasurer in 1827; another Webster has land in sec. 13 on the 1859 plat map).

Wellman’s Swamp

Ingham County

at the Agricultural College (W. R. Kedzie in 1895; cf. his label for Poa paludigena).

West Bluff

Keweenaw County

now identified (if at all) on maps as “Brockway Mt.,” on Brockway Mountain Drive ca. 3 miles W of Copper Harbor. [The Michigan Audubon Society and the Michigan Nature Association have sanctuaries here; classical site for rare plants, including western disjunct species, since the days of O. A. Farwell and M. L. Fernald.]

West Bridge St. Ferry

Ottawa County

west of Grand Rapids, sec. 20, Tallmadge Tp. (EJC).

West Lake

Emmet County

= Dow Lake = western of the Twin Lakes, in sec. 12, T38N, R4W (Carp Lake Tp.—not Wawatam Tp. as indicated by Nelson) (UMBS).

Wetmore Pond

Marquette County

NE¼ sec. 31, T49N, R25W. [Not at village of Wetmore in Alger Co.]

Wheal Kate

Houghton County

SE¼ sec. 18, T54N, R34W, ca. 1 mile S of South Range (cf. 1915 topo map for Houghton quad.).

White, Peter: See Peter White’s Camp, above.

 

 

Whitefish Bay

Door Co., Wisconsin

Henry Gillman and Lewis Foote collected in 1866 at Whitefish Bay, Door Co., Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan—not in Michigan at the well-known Whitefish Bay on Lake Superior. [A Whitefish Pt. is also on the S side of Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin.]

Whitefish Lake

Mackinac County

(Mrs. Calvin Goodrich in August, 1922, and presumably also B. E. Quick the same summer). [There are also several other Whitefish Lakes in the state.]

Whitefish Point

Alpena County

Besides the well known site on Lake Superior (Chippewa Co.), note that there is another Whitefish Point on the W side of Prentiss Bay in Mackinac Co., just E of Les Cheneaux (Ehlers & Erlanson in 1924; Voss in 1983). There is also a Whitefish Point across Thunder Bay, E of Alpena, on Whitefish Bay (Alpena Co.).

Whitefish Point

Mackinac County

Besides the well known site on Lake Superior (Chippewa Co.), note that there is another Whitefish Point on the W side of Prentiss Bay in Mackinac Co., just E of Les Cheneaux (Ehlers & Erlanson in 1924; Voss in 1983). There is also a Whitefish Point across Thunder Bay, E of Alpena, on Whitefish Bay (Alpena Co.).

Whitehouse Nature Center

Calhoun County

125 acres on E Branch of the Kalamazoo River, ca. one quarter mile SE of the main campus of Albion College, which owns and administers it.

Whitmore Lake

Livingston/Washtenaw County

on the county line. (OAF on July 20, 1927, nos. 8006–8019, was apparently on the Washtenaw Co. side [cf. his label for Lilium michiganense] and likewise Sept. 5, 1923, nos. 6173–6176 [cf. his field notes]; he was at the north end, in Livingston Co., on June 15, 1927, nos. 7948–7967 [cf. his field notes]).

Wiard

Washtenaw County

station on the Michigan Central RR near SW corner of sec. 1, Ypsilanti Tp. (cf. topo map for Ypsilanti quad, 1906 ed.). OAF frequently collected here and doubtless explored some distance from the station. A pioneer family, the Wiards moved from New York to Michigan in 1830 and settled on Wiard Road, founding Wiard Orchards in 1853. [In 1943 the Wiards moved their business to Merritt Rd. having sold the original site for industrial and expressway (now Interstate 94) development (cf. www.wiards.com).].

Wilcox farm

Macomb County

Elias Wilcox, NE¼ sec. 3, T3N, R12E [Shelby Tp.] (fide DC 1844 label for Lithospermum arvense).

Willey’s

Macomb County

“along the north branch of the Clinton” (cf. DC 1840 label for Monarda didyma; presumably sec. 27, Ray Tp., where Willey land is shown on the North Branch on 1859 and 1875 plat maps).

Windmill Pt.

Wayne County

Grosse Pte., at source of Detroit River; lighthouse built here in 1838, subsequently rebuilt and replaced (cf. Beacon 18(4): 5–6. 2001–02).

Wolf Lake

Jackson County

at the junction of Grass Lake, Leoni, and Napoleon Tps.; this is the site for collections by S. H. & D. R. Camp in the 1890s (as well as by others); and for Besseya bullii. The Wolf Lake in Lake Co. (7 miles N of Baldwin) and the one in northeastern Delta Co. are both noted for plants of Coastal Plain affinity. There are more than 20 other Wolf Lakes in Michigan.

Wolff’s Bog

Cheboygan County

secs. 14 and 15, T37N R3W (UMBS).

Woodbridge Park

Wayne County

Dearborn (cf. OAF label for Sphenopholis intermedia, BLH).

Woodlawn Cemetery

Wayne County

Detroit, just south of Oakland Co. line and Ferndale.

Woodville

Newaygo County

(OAF on Aug. 4, 1921).

Woodward at Lacy

Oakland County

(CB).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap

Y

 

 

Yates Cider Mill

Macomb County

NW of Utica (cf. Mich. Hist. 81(4): 42, July–Aug. 1997).

Z

 

 

Zug Island

Wayne County

Detroit River at mouth of Rouge River; originally a marshy peninsula, later isolated by a ship channel and heavily industrialized (cf. Mich. History 87(6): 59, Nov.–Dec. 2003).

back to top

search by county

abbreviationssourcesmap